Winter Mini Apple-Cranberry Crumble

by cakeduchess on January 24, 2011 · 54 comments

crumble14
People that hoard things fascinate me. I wonder how they could live with the excessive amount of whatever it is they are hoarding: dogs, rats, newspapers, shoes, and maybe handbags.

I recently discovered I am sort of a baking hoarder. Open one of my kithen cabinet doors and out will tumble the evidence! I have extreme amounts of chips: chocolate (semi-sweet, sweet, mini, regular), butterscotch, mint, white. Nuts: walnuts, hazelnuts, blanched slivers of almonds. Cranberries. I was hoarding cranberries in the depths of my refrigerator. Just the other day my mom pulled them out and couldn’t believe her eyes. Bright and gorgeous! They were ready to be baked! I just hated to bake the last bag of fresh cranberries. I just had to do it!

crumble11
You could make these Mini Crumbles with just apples. You could get frozen cranberries and add them if you fancy cranberries like I do. Some people don’t like the tartness of cranberries. Like my sister-in-law, for example. She wouldn’t touch these because of the cranberries. That’s ok…I’ll eat her portion!Winking smilecrumble13
Today is National Pie Day! This is my sort of pie contribution! That is why I made the crust on the bottom of each ramekin so they could be almost like a pie!The most romantic day of the year is around the corner! I think these are a wonderful dessert to make for your sweetheart. Chocolate is a given; you know it makes hearts go pitter-patter. This could be a sweet surprise for your better half! These Mini Crumbles may make your love’s heart skip a beat…or two! Winking smile

Winter Apple-Cranberry Crumble
yield: 8 (1 cup) ramekins or 1 9-inch pie
Filling
4 medium apples, peeled and cored,quartered and sliced thinly
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
1 tablespoon lemon juice or orange juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger

Crumble
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 sticks cold butter cut into pieces, cut into small pieces
1 cup brown sugar
1 dash cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 F.  In a medium sized bowl, toss the apples, cranberries, brown sugar, and lemon (or orange juice). Toss until the mixture is evenly coated with all the ingredients.

In a large bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, and dash of cinnamon. Working with a pastry blender, incorporate the butter into the flour/sugar mixture until it is nice and crumbly and in pea sized pieces. Pat down in each ramekin about 2 tablespoons to make crust in the individual ramekins or pie plate. Spoon in the fruit mixture in each ramekin. Sprinkle on another 2 tablespoons of the crumble mixture to the top.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the crumble is a pretty golden color. If you bake in the pie 9 inch Pyrex, bake for about 35 minutes.

recipe by me!

Try to stop yourself from digging your fork in a ramekin steaming hot right out of the oven! You could prevent your tongue from being scorched by adding a little scoop of vanilla ice-cream on top.Winking smile

Here is how the crumble mixture should look.
crumble1
The crust part of the ramekins patted down nicely.
crumble2
If you are using a Pyrex pie plate, here is how your crust on bottom should look.
crumble3
The fruit spooned in nicely on top ready for the crumble mixture on top.
crumble4
And here are the little pretties ready to be baked to perfection. Winking smile
crumble5
How was your weekend? I hope it was relaxing and you are feeling well. I read that a lot of my friends have been fighting something. I hope you are healthy and eating some thing sweet and wonderful.Winking smile Thank you for stopping by today!!

PS: What are you secretly hoarding? SHH…you can tell me! I won’t tell a soulWinking smile!
PPS: I upset one commentor tonight. Let me clarify: I am being silly as I sometimes am in my writing. My intention is not to offend people that do have a serious hoarding problem (besides hoarding obscene amounts of baking supples). I happen to have a close family member that is a real hoarder…I’m not talking just baking supples. I wish I could help this family member. Don’t take me too seriously, people. I do have a heart and feel for people that hoard in a way that is disruptive to their lives.

Debbie B. January 24, 2011 at 3:34 am

The crumbles look great!! Love that they are individual size … although I would be tempted to eat two!!

Chef Dennis January 24, 2011 at 3:46 am

hi Lora
Those crumbles look so very very good! too bad about your sister in law, but that leaves more for us! I do love pie, I think pie day should be once a week!!!
and as for what I am secretly hoarding….flours, all kinds…I must make something with them!
Cheers
Dennis

Cookin' Canuck January 24, 2011 at 3:55 am

Hoarding is good when it leads to a dessert like this. I love the tartness of cranberry – a perfect foil for the apples and topping.

justcooknyc.com January 24, 2011 at 4:02 am

this looks perfect for the cold weather we’ve been having. i’ve started keeping a bag of dried cranberries in the freezer for cravings. in fact just today i made a cranberry-banana bread.

A little bit of everything January 24, 2011 at 4:02 am

i feel so bad for those that have a hoarding disorder, and by that i don’t mean people like me and you that have 10 types of chocolate chips and 10 bags of flour opened. I can not understand the struggle that’s inside them. so sad

your pies look delicious. I have some cranberry too in my freezer, i think I may take some out soon.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe Lola, hope you’ll have a wonderful week

Corrine January 24, 2011 at 4:04 am

Those look delicious! As for what I’m hoarding, definitely chocolate chips. I have about 8 bags of different kinds in my pantry.

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom January 24, 2011 at 4:11 am

Don’t you love individual desserts? I can eat two and not feel guilty at all :] Really lovely crumbles.

It’s funny how food hoarding becomes a really good thing during a blizzard. Last time we were set to get snowed in, my hubby was marveling how we wouldn’t need to go to the store.

Raina January 24, 2011 at 4:13 am

This looks wonderful. I love the combination of the apples with the tart cranberries. This would surely warm me up.

It is hard for me to understand how anyone could be a hoarder too. All of that stuff would make me very nervous..lol

claire January 24, 2011 at 4:19 am

these look amazing! i will definitely be trying this recipe soon!

Chow and Chatter January 24, 2011 at 5:06 am

these are so cute I want mine with custard please

Lindsey January 24, 2011 at 5:08 am

These crumbles look amazing! I can’t wait to try this recipe and maybe play around with a few other fruit combinations. Yum!

Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) January 24, 2011 at 5:48 am

I love fruit crumbles – They are so very easy and yours looks just that! Thank you for sharing this wonderful, yummy looking recipe and your beautiful photos! – Georgia

Jeannie January 24, 2011 at 5:55 am

I love the look of these crumble pies, so festive and romantic and certainly will make someone’s heart flutter with delight at every mouthful:)

Lana January 24, 2011 at 7:10 am

I snatched a couple of bags of fresh cranberries on sale after the holidays, and they are resting happily in the freezer, waiting for something like this!

The only one in the family who definitely does need to gain weight is my Husband, and he is allergic to apples:) How appropriate.

I like the simplicity of the recipe, and I don’t doubt that it tastes divine:)

As for hoarding, my Husband is the worst: he keeps all the stuff all the kids have ever given him! I just take the photos of the cards, paintings, projects, etc. and discard the originals:)

But I do “collect” beans, legumes and grains (I even bring the stuff from abroad:)

All That's Left Are The Crumbs January 24, 2011 at 7:45 am

I love the combination of apples and cranberries, and these crumbles look delicious.

MaryMoh January 24, 2011 at 9:00 am

I have to admit I am a hoarder, too….books. There are books in almost every corner of the house. I think they make me cook and sleep better…haha. Love your crumble. I like cranberries. I can eat all if no one likes :D

Peggy January 24, 2011 at 10:40 am

It doesn’t sounds like you’re too bad of a hoarder! Just a ready baker, that’s all! =) These crumbles sound fantastic, and just the thing I need to do to use up the last of my cranberries!

Carolyn January 24, 2011 at 11:58 am

I’m a full on baking hoarder. I have about 8 kinds of flour in my cupboard, so many bags of nuts and berries and chips in my freezer, it’s a bit crazy! I just hate to be without a certain ingredient if the mood strikes me to bake with it.
These crumbles look so good, a great way to bake with the last of the cranberries!

Annie January 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Love this idea! I always want pie but in most cases hate making a whole pie because I end up eating too much of it. This way I can have just the right amount!

Stephanie January 24, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Hoarders unite! I won’t deny it, I’m sort of one, too. But with food in general. I think my eyes are a tad bit bigger than my stomach. :-p

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen January 24, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Hoarding is my trademark. So much so that I wrote a whole post blaming the hoarding practice to the fact that I was born during war times in Kuwait. You see I have to find a way to feel sane!;)

This looks great.

Pretend Chef January 24, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I had something wonderful to write along the comments of this dessert which by the way looks delicious but then I had to stop and shake my head at the direction it took at the end because this is your blog, your space to write how and what you want. I believe that if someone takes it to heart then move along. Both you and this dessert is sweet and I’ll vouch for that!

Evan Thomas January 24, 2011 at 2:46 pm

These look delicious! I love the individual serving size dishes. This would be tempting to eat a lot of.

happywhennothungry January 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Wow these look delicious!! I am notorious for hoarding cards that people send me. I feel like I’m being rude when I throw them out, so I’ll keep them in one particular drawer for several months until I finally decide it’s time to chuck them!

polwig January 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Beautiful photos and recipe. I love sweet and tart combinations. So yummy.

foodwanderings January 24, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Apple and cranberries are two f my favorite ingredients when it comes to bakings sweets with fruit!! This looks delicious and am happy you are using cranberries beyond Thanksgiving!!

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow January 24, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Delicious I love cran-apple anything!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE January 24, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Too funny! I’m a kitchen hoard too. For a lady with a fairly small (and momentarily sad) wardrobe, I have an excessive amount of stocked ingredients and kitchen gear!

The little crumbles look delightful!

sara @ CaffeIna January 24, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I envy your full pantry! Every time I buy something my hubby snacks it out and when i decide to use that stuff for baking I realize that…it’s gone lol.
Lora this crumbles are fantastic. I’m in love with crumbles. So easy and so versatile…always good. Have a good (=less funky than last) week!

Lizzy January 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Oh, what a yummy dessert…I am drooling thinking about the crumble topping…plus I love the individual servings!

I have to admit, I have a huge collection of Ghirardelli chocolate bars: unsweetened, bittersweet, semisweet, milk and white…I bet you’re not surprised :)

The Mom Chef January 24, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Ha! You’ve just given me the perfect recipe for using up my fresh cranberries. I don’t have apples, but I have 3 pears on the counter and they’re just crying out to be given a chance to look at gorgeous as you’ve made their apple cousins look. What a warm, wonderful treat this is. Thanks!

Wilde in the Kitchen January 24, 2011 at 5:56 pm

You and I must have been watching the same A&E marathon this weekend :) Love the mini crumbles, I wonder if my grocery store has been hoarding some cranberries for me?

Evan @swEEts January 24, 2011 at 9:17 pm

We must have been on the same baking wave length again because I made muffins with apples and pears yesterday! These little crumbles sound fabulous.. oh and I totally hoard baking things as well- I have 3 cabinets just full of baking tools/goodies :)

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines January 24, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Oh no, I’m a baking supply hoarder too, or maybe it’s cupcake liners, either way, they do have a way of taking over. These sound wonderful to me, I love cranberries, and I think I”m hoarding a bag in the freezer right now. It’s true the germs are bad this time of year. I think anyone who’s read you more than once, would know you are just being silly, I doubt you could ever be mean! Have a great week.
-Gina-

SaraOneTribeGourmet January 24, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I adore fruity desserts especially crumbles! Looks so good!

Steph January 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I am a crumble freak! I am known to eat a whole pan of fruit crumble. I love how these are in indivdual jars though, so that my portion size is limited :)

Toby January 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I hoard bread… if I’m not careful, the pantry, freezer, fridge and cupboard are wedged full… its a sad life.

Love the mini crumbles – everyone seems to be in the tiny pie mode for the day..

we could have a pie sampler :)

Kate @ Diethood.com January 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I hoard kitchen utensils and gadgets :)

The crumbles look so moist and oh so sweet – I’d love to stuff my face in one!

Tickled Red January 24, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Oh those look so scrumptious!! And look you made four little ones, just the right amount for me and the guys ;)

scrambledhenfruit January 25, 2011 at 1:02 am

Hoarding baking supplies is absolutely acceptable. If not, I have a problem too. :) Those little crumbles are so cute! I have cranberries in my freezer that would be perfect for them. Miniature desserts are my favorites!

Sandra January 25, 2011 at 2:55 am

Hi, my name is Sandra and I hoard baking ingredients. Small amounts of chocolate chips, teaspoonfuls of nuts, odd amounts of chopped dates, and for some reason; crystallized ginger. Oh and by the way your crumbles look really good.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels January 25, 2011 at 2:58 am

I love cranberries and apples together, mmmm. Your crumbles look so good, I could seriously eat all of them. Or at least I want to.
I don’t hoard at all. I’m so not attached to things. And I bake too much so ingredients never pile up, haha :)

Monet January 25, 2011 at 5:50 am

These look perfect! I’m always a fan of anything with apples, and I love the tartness that cranberries add to pies/cobblers. I had no idea it was national pie day…thank you for reminding me. I may have to run out and get some pie :-)

Sunshine January 25, 2011 at 6:40 am

These looks yummy !!!
BTW .. National Pie day ? I had nooo idea! There is a day to celebrate Pie .. what else day we have to celebrate ?? :P

Indie.Tea January 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

I am the opposite of a hoarder – I am always cleaning out cabinets and throwing away things and regretting it later….
Your crumbles look so cheerful and delicious!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 25, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I like the way you’ve made a crust from the crumble mixture, it’s like a nice little surprise at the bottom of your dessert!

Jessica @ How Sweet January 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I am also a baking hoarder! I can totally relate. But then I actually watch Hoarders on A&E and have a nervous breakdown and need to clean everything.

Sue January 25, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Lora, These look so delicious! I love the bright red of the cranberries! Talk about hoarding…I have 12 lbs. of fresh cranberries in the freezer(I just looked to make sure I’m being accurate:))! Blame it on my husband-ha ha! This is a MUST MAKE!

Ang January 25, 2011 at 9:42 pm

The crust on the bottom…… brilliant. I’m stealing that one for sure. I don’t like running out of crust so this is perfect.

A Thought For Food January 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I need these more than you… I think my whole body has become one big block of ice. If you feel like mailing some, I’ll send you my address.

briarrose January 26, 2011 at 12:17 am

Apples and cranberries…how yummy.

Ehehehe….I tend to get too many bags of chocolate chips of all kinds…I think I’m running low so I keep buying thinking I’m still low. Then the chocolanche happens. ;)

MyMansBelly January 26, 2011 at 1:32 am

I have more types of flour than one person should have. It’s even more than one of my favorite markets carries. But now I have an excuse to use some of it…for these yummy little snacks.

Kristen January 26, 2011 at 1:52 am

I have four bags of cranberries in my freezer. I keep thinking that I need to use them, but then I keep thinking if I do, then they will be GONE. Your crumble is tempting me mightily.

Magic of Spice January 27, 2011 at 12:27 am

A baking hoarder…too funny :) These crumbles look so delicious :)