The BEST Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

by cakeduchess on January 3, 2011 · 45 comments

When you title a recipe The BEST…you are setting yourself up for criticism. Everyone interprets a recipe differently. What I think is The BEST, you may think is utter rubbish. This is not rubbish, and this is not a joke.

I have been craving a reallllly good peanut butter cookie recipe. Why do I go to Costco and by the ginormous Nutella and the ginormous peanut butter? Just telling you up front, no Nutella in this cookie. But I do like the idea!
Every time I open my baking cupboard I see this huge peanut butter container. All 48 oz of Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter. I started to search for a peanut butter cookie recipe. I browsed through my baking books. Not satisfied with what I had here, I then perused the internet until I came across Smitten Kitchen’s recipe from 2007. They have had almost 300 comments on this recipe and almost each one is singing its praises. I knew I had.to.make.these.fast.
Recipe Notes: I added white chocolate chips and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. The recipe calls for peanut butter chips. Next time I will try it with them to see the difference. I scooped out some portions at 1 teaspoon as the recipe directs. I cooped out some at about 1 tablespoon portions. I prefer them in the bigger scoop size. Next time I bake them, I will start to check them around 8 minutes. At 10 minutes, the smaller sized cookies were more than done. Even though some were crispier, they were AMAZING!  The bigger cookies were crispy on outside and moist on the inside. Truly delectable.
Start 2011 with The BEST Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie. Tell me your opinion after you try it. I can’t stop eating these. I just gave a small container of them to my neighbors. They were excited to hear me knocking at the door. They also agree that they are The BEST. They also could have been not wanting to risk their cookie connection.

Peanut Butter Cookies
from Smitten Kitchen Adapted from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook

Smitten Kitchen says: “The brilliance of these cookies is that they have include two different formats for peanuts–three if you use chunky peanut butter. They’re crisp on the outside, and almost cakey on the inside. Bake a batch and then hide the results in the furthest and most forgettable reaches of your kitchen. You’ll thank me later.”

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter at room temperature (smooth is what we used, but I am pretty sure they use chunky at the bakery)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter chips – *I added instead a 1/2 cup white chocolate chips from Ghirardelli
1/2 cup chocolate chips –*I added instead mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

For sprinkling: 1 tablespoon sugar, regular or superfine *I rolled some in turbinado sugar. Amazing crunch factor.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the peanut butter and chocolate chips. Place sprinkling sugar — the remaining tablespoon — on a plate. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar (*I made 1/2 cookies 1 tablespoon size scoops), then onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. Using a fork, lightly indent with a criss-cross pattern (I used the back of a small offset spatula to keep it smooth on top), but do not overly flatten cookies. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.
Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

Thank you for stopping by to check in and see what is baking in 2011! Leave me a comment and tell me how you’re doing Winking smile.

Say hi to me on twitter or join our Facebook conversations! It’s so much fun getting to know you better. Smile

I have an exciting post that will be coming up soon! My adorable and sweet friend/”little sis” Lindsey from Gingerbread Bagels chose me to be the next baker in the Chobani yogurt challenge! Thank you Lindsey for choosing me!! I am already dreaming up a good recipe! Go on over and see what yumminess Lindsey came up with with!

Quay Po Cooks January 3, 2011 at 2:26 am

Lora,
These cookies looks amazing! peanut butter is my favorite!

Jean January 3, 2011 at 2:32 am

I’ll be bookmarking these–my husband loves peanut butter cookies and I haven’t yet mastered the art of cookie baking. With your endorsement and 300 others, it’s got to be good. Thanks!

Chef Dennis January 3, 2011 at 2:36 am

Hi Lora

I love peanut butter cookies!! the white chocolate chips sound like a much better idea than peanut butter chips….I am starving right now and your cookies are calling to me….sigh
Thanks for making me hungrier!
Dennis

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels January 3, 2011 at 2:36 am

Your cookies are GORGEOUS!! If I could eat peanuts (thank goodness I can have Nutella now), I would eat them all. I just absolutely love the addition of white chocolate chips and mini semi sweet chocolate chips, what a great idea. Mmmm they look AMAZING! :)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe January 3, 2011 at 2:38 am

Your cookies look so thick! They sound wonderful, what a great flavor combination!
Happy New Year!

Sandra January 3, 2011 at 2:45 am

Wonderful cookies!!! They look divine, yum!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 3, 2011 at 2:49 am

There’s a Magnolia’s Bakery near me, but I don’t know if I’ve ever tried their peanut butter cookie. I guess if they are the “best” then I’m obligated to make these to judge for myself aren’t I? So much for my “I’m not ever eating sweets again” after the holidays :-D

Evan Thomas January 3, 2011 at 2:52 am

I’m skeptical about any peanut butter cookie that also has flour and butter because I’m never sure if the flavor will still be as strong, but if you say they’re the best then I have to give them a shot.

baking.serendipity January 3, 2011 at 3:03 am

These look amazing! We buy ridiculous amounts of peanut butter at Costco, but always do boring things with it like make sandwiches and trick the dog into getting into his bed. Time to step out of the box, seriously! Thanks for the inspiration and a best recipe! Hope 2011 brings you fantastic things :)

Lo-mo January 3, 2011 at 3:45 am

Oh Lora, these have my mouth watering! I am going through my cupboards to see what I have….skor bits…..hmmmmmm……

Laurie Alves January 3, 2011 at 3:55 am

Peanut Butter Cookies are so versatile aren’t they??? I love this Recipe!

Kate @ Diethood.com January 3, 2011 at 4:10 am

These cookies look so pretty and sound so yummy! I would love to try them with some nutella, too! :)

Sue January 3, 2011 at 4:29 am

Wow, these do look amazing! My sister-in-law has a really good recipe, but I’d LOVE to try these! I love peanut butter cookies! Thanks, Lora! I’ll let you know how they turn out:)

BakingWithoutABox January 3, 2011 at 5:45 am

I read it twice and I really do think that could be the best PB/choco chip cookies ever. Now if only I was in Florida to sneak a bite. Such lovely photos. Outstanding Lora!! And of course I’m looking forward to seeing much more of your blog in 2011.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE January 3, 2011 at 5:49 am

Alright, you leave me no choice but to bake these up immediately to see if you are right! ;) Happy 2011!

Shelby January 3, 2011 at 10:03 am

They do look awesome! Peanut butter cookie fan here….all the way!

Amy Bakes Everything January 3, 2011 at 11:47 am

Dig, dig, dig! Peanut Butter cookies are my favorite, love the white chocolate chips. I pick white chocolate over all others any day!

Carolyn January 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm

They do certainly look good. Smitten Kitchen never steers you wrong! I may have to try these soon!!!

briarrose January 3, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Oh these look good. I don’t think I’ve ever actually added chocolate chips to my peanut butter cookies….I’m kind of shocked over that really. Mmmm….giant jar of Nutella.

Sommer J January 3, 2011 at 1:31 pm

This looks great! My husband loves peanut butter combos as do my children! Never thought to add peanut butter to my cookie batter! The pictures look great as well!

Pretend Chef January 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm

My guy would love to come home to these cookies after a Monday at work. These cookies look so good! Need to make a batch of these and surprise my guy! I’ve never added chocolate of any sort to my peanut butter cookies and that just sounds like a winning combo.

Pretend Chef January 3, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I forgot to email you this morning to tell you that I am in L-O-V-E with my cookbook! I made an appetizer yesterday and it was incredible! I’m looking forward to trying more recipes. Thank you again for hosting that giveaway!

Lindsay @ Eat, Knit, Grow January 3, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Those look so wonderful! I can’t wait to bake up a batch!

Evan @swEEts January 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm

How did you know my favorite combination was peanut butter and chocolate?! I can’t wait to try these Lora.. I’ll definitely let you know how they turn out :)

Heather January 3, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I’m pretty sure that absolutely everything on the Smitten Kitchen is “the best.” These sure don’t look like they would disappoint. :)

@thedailypalette January 3, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Happy New Year, Lora! These cookies will go so well with my Grandma’s Hot Cocoa Recipe! It’s a hot cocoa with peanut butter kind.

Thanks for sharing!

Paula - bell'alimento January 3, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I’m going to bake these for my bambini, I know they’ll love them, plus it keeps them away from my Nutella ; ) tee hee xoxo Happy New Year sweets!

tastesbetterwithfriends January 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm

You can’t go wrong with pb and chocolate to begin with! Happy new year Lora!:)

SaraOneTribeGourmet January 3, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Bella Lora, I think you are right, these do look & sound like the best peanut butter and choc chip cookies in the world! :)

Christina January 3, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I think I may just have all these ingredients on hand and may have to bake these this afternoon! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Magic of Spice January 3, 2011 at 8:38 pm

They look pretty good to me! I used to make peanut butter cookies when my kids were little and they have asked that I repeat them, but I can not remember for the life of me the recipe or what I did. I am going to try your recipe and hope I can manage to not embarrass you :) If I burn them I promise not to put your name on it ;)

Katie@Cozydelicious January 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Oooh, I love the white chocolate chip substitution. Yum! These look so tasty!

Kita January 3, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Im taking your word for it and adding these to the pile of things to bake! :D I can’t wait to try them.

Liana @ femme fraiche January 3, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I might just take your word on that post title! These look amazing:)

The Mom Chef January 3, 2011 at 11:37 pm

This like a reverse Reese’s peanut butter cup the way you’ve done it. I personally like the idea of the two different chocolates instead of peanut butter chips and baking the cookies bigger for less time (there’s nothing like a soft center). Thanks for this “best” recipe!

♥The Sweet Life♥ (Alessandra) January 3, 2011 at 11:53 pm

These look delicious. I love the combo of peanut butter & chocolate!!

scrambledhenfruit January 4, 2011 at 12:10 am

Peanut butter and chocolate are a divine combination. I don’t really have a favorite peanut butter cookie recipe because I’ve never found one I truly love. This may be the one! I’m putting them on my list to try, anyway. :)

Tonya - What's On My Plate January 4, 2011 at 1:05 am

A bold claim indeed! I’ve been having a serious craving for peanut butter cookies, I may have to give these a try.

Koci January 4, 2011 at 4:10 am

I haven’t had peanut butter cookies in such a long time! Yours sound amazing, especially with all those chocolate chips. Yum!!

Monet January 4, 2011 at 5:17 am

I was so excited to hear that Lindsey had chosen you for the challenge! I love you girls, and I’m glad we all got to participate in this fun. These cookies look pretty amazing, and I love how you used white chocolate chips (my personal favorite!) I’ve been thinking of you and your sweet self all day today. You have truly blessed me, my dear!

MyMansBelly January 4, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I vote for the bigger cookies too. Peanut butter and oatmeal raisin cookies are my favorites and as soon as I’m done with this cleanse I think these will be finding a home in my belly.

Jamie January 4, 2011 at 5:13 pm

A very very Happy New Year, Buon Anno e Tanti Auguri, bella e cara amica! Let’s start the year off by sharing a pile of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and a cappuccino!! Yes!!

Wishing you and your family a stupendous, joyous, prosperous 2011!

Elin January 5, 2011 at 12:58 am

Lora..I believe you when you said it is nice and I can taste it already from the way you describe it. Have bookmarked it and thank you for sharing with us such an awesome peanut butter chocolatey cookie :) Happy 2011 to you and family :)

Stefanie August 9, 2011 at 1:06 am

I’ve had the hardest time finding a peanut butter cookie recipe that was -just- right. I found your site for the first time today and tried this recipe. I didn’t put any white, chocolate, or peanut butter chips in it (this time) but they were exactly what I was looking for…yum! :) Next I will try the browned butter and molasses chocolate chip cookies…can’t wait!! :)

frugirl May 23, 2012 at 3:15 am

I googled Best Peanut Butter Chocolate chip cookies and your blog came up. I baked the cookies and I told my husband that my goal for this summer was the try a lot of different PB and chocochip cookie recipes to find the best (I have a large jar of PB I would like to use up). After trying these cookies, my husband insisted that these were the best PB Chocochip cookies he has ever had! Perfectly crispy outside and soft inside. Thanks for the great recipe, it’s a keeper!