Persimmon Crumb White Chocolate Bread

by cakeduchess on January 6, 2011 · 38 comments

persimmon1

I am goof. I have mentioned this before. Sometimes I am serious, and sometimes I am a little silly. My forte’ used to be imitating my friends’ voices. Especially my foreign friends. I always would get asked to pretend to be one of them and crank call people. For example, a guy they had a thing for.

I know. Really mature! Now that I’m a mom, I have to be more serious. I have to set a good example for my kids. Practical jokes always end up hurting someone’s feelings. What a bad mom I was about a month ago when I passed by the school my best friend teaches at and I left a note on her windshield that said “Your hot” in really bad handwriting. My daughter was shaking her head in embarrassment. I was laughing all the way to my brother’s house and left the same note on his windshield.
I’m a little pazza-crazy! My best friend thought it was from a student and tossed it. My brother just turned on his windshield wipers and let the note fly away. At least I laughed out loud Winking smile.

persimmon2
Persimmons are seriously good.  I bake with every other fruit, it was time to bake with these juicy and sweet persimmon. The batter was a gorgeous orange color.

It had been a while since I had some persimmon. My husband was very happy when he found “I cacchi” at our local fruit market. My dad was pretty happy too! When I took a bite of a nice ripe one,  the flavor brought back a flood of memories. I was remembering my big family and thinking how lucky I was to have so many relatives in Sicily. I was fortunate to have spent summers there and even lived there for a period of my childhood. I had the opportunity to live what I thought was how life should be. A life full of loud relatives eating amazing food. Summers spent at my aunt’s beach house. Lazy days on the beach with my extended family. Long exploration walks and impromptu soccer games in the sand, followed by nutella sandwiches. First crushes on the cute neighbors. Getting almost sent back home to Florida because of an innocent crush! Those were beautiful days. Except for the crush gone bad story.

I heard when I was a baby and we first visited Sicily, my aunts would fight over who could hold me. They knitted me beautiful little dresses. I still have some of the dresses thanks to my mom. When I was a little girl,  I would write some of my cousins letters. The thrill of opening the mailbox to find a return message from them was indescribable! I saved every letter.  Now I go to Facebook and send them a quick note. Technology has united us once again through this vast distance. Sweet memories that this fruit had me thinking of again.

Here I am rocking the tube socks and the high waisted yellow shorts! Lord, where was my stylist? A handful of my cousins and aunts on the terrace in Sicily.

sicily2 001
My father’s hometown on the Southern coast of Sicily has incredible beaches.
sicily80s 001
I love how when you are walking down the street you can see a farmer and his horse coming back from the farm!
sicily2005.2 001

This bread is moist and perfect for breakfast or an afterschool snack. The crumble is delightful. I added white chocolate chips. I adore white chocolate chips. If you don’t, go ahead and add chocolate chips. You could also add dried cranberries or raisins. A handful of nuts would be a good idea.

Persimmon Crumb Bread

I read that the more sugar will produce a moister and, of course, sweeter bread.

1/2 cup persimmon pulp
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Crumb Topping-Mom’s Recipe
1 cup flour
1 stick unsalted cold butter, cut into tablespoons
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Whisk together the flour and brown sugar. With your hands, or a pastry blender, combine the butter into the flour mixture until large clumps form. Refrain from eating the entire crumb topping.

Bread Directions

Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

Grease a 9×4×3-inch loaf pan and set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together flour and salt.

In a small bowl, whisk together persimmon pulp and baking soda.  This will thicken the pulp a bit.
In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, spices, and fresh ginger.  Once well incorporated, whisk in the persimmon mixture.  Pour the wet ingredients, all at once, into the dry ingredients.  Fold to incorporate.  Once no flour remains, pour into the loaf pan and place in the oven.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Lower heat to 325, and bake for about another 25-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the loaf comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool to room temperature before serving. Loaf lasts well wrapped at room temperature for up to five days.

Bread recipe-Joy the Baker with slight adaptions by me.
Crumb recipe-my mom

As always, thank you for stopping by for a visit!! I hope you are having a wonderful week. Today I lost my voice! My kids are thrilled! Winking smile

Laugh with me and my other fabulous food friends on twitter! That is where my husband says I spend WAY too much time. What does he know?Winking smile

Jeannie January 6, 2011 at 5:38 am

It’s fun to dig out old photos and laugh over it… my boys been doing that lately and had a good laugh over their baby pics:D I love persimmon and this bread looks delicious!

notyet100 January 6, 2011 at 7:17 am

mmmm perfect looking bread

Cristina January 6, 2011 at 8:28 am

Hi Lora: Hope you get your voice back soon and adorable pictures of days past. :) Fantastic looking bread with all that ginger included in it. Perfect for any time of the day!

Blog is the New Black January 6, 2011 at 10:37 am

THis sounds FABULOUS! For the longest time I’ve wanted to try cooking with persimmons (never had one!) and perhaps this will be the recipe I use! New follower, looking forward to more.

Carolyn January 6, 2011 at 11:46 am

I still have yet to try a persimmon. I saw some at my local grocery store in the fall and I am kicking myself now that I didn’t buy them. Your bread looks amazing! And you are goof, I can tell ;)

A Thought For Food January 6, 2011 at 11:49 am

Lora, I LOVE THIS POST!!!! Such a wonderful story and the pictures are just adorable!

Also, that crumb topping is perfection!

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate January 6, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Adorable tube socks. I’m very impressed, I could never get mine to stay up! I love the idea of cacchi bread; however, the virtually overripe, juicy persimmons always get gobbled up as soon as they enter the house. I’m tasting your beautiful photo as a substitute. :)

LaPhemmePhoodie January 6, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I have several pictures where I am rocking an outfit just like the one you have on in that pic. It’s fun to look at old pics. The bread looks incredible.

Kori January 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm

How fun to bake with persimmon! That is something I’ve never tried… In fact, I’ve never eaten one as far as I know, so now I’m anxious to try them. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me :)

ravienomnoms January 6, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I love seeing old photos! Your bread looks simply delicious!

Pretend Chef January 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm

My mother’s side is from Sicily and I wish growing up or even now I had an opportunity to go. I know I said this yesterday but I absolutely love hearing your stories because it feels like it could have been my childhood or funny things I would do. Ahhhh. The bread looks so delicious. I still have never tried a persimmon and since starting a blog I have realized just how many things I still have yet to try. Have a great day Lora!

Ms. WhitePlates January 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm

A few months ago we were in the car and my hubby was very carefully parking our car between a Lexus, Cadillac and some other car that he could not hit. So of course when he wasn’t looking I balled up my fist and hit my door as hard as I could, I nearly died laughing. It really does sound exactly like you’ve hit another car.

Your bread looks delicious. I haven’t baked with persimmon yet because my daughter loves it so much I haven’t the chance. I’ll have to squirrel some away and surprise her with this bread!

briarrose January 6, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Man that looks good. Awesome job.

Wilde in the Kitchen January 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm

You’re too funny, I would have gotten a kick out of your window notes. My boyfriend always used to leave me notes on my car, before we were dating. I’ve never tried a persimmon, but they seem all the rage right now. I might have to join the persimmon party!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels January 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Ooooh look at you rockin’ those tube socks! :D Haha. You are just too cute, looovee you! Seriously you are the funniest person ever and I love how you leave notes. hahaha.

The bread is just gorgeous, honestly, it looks incredible. I LOVE persimmons but have never baked with them. I can’t seem to find a recipe that I truly find interesting but now i have thanks to you. I LOVE white chocolate too so this is totaly my thing. (I’m obviously really good with words!) Mmmm. Now maybe I should put on some tubes sock, whip up some bread and make a video? Woohoo!

Paula - bell'alimento January 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Ma che bella ; ) Anche la ricetta ; ) Buona befana cara!

tastesbetterwithfriends January 6, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I’m not a morning person, but i’d happily wake up for this everyday! And don’t ever lose your inner spirit:)
p.s. whereas your pregnant picture was cute in that you were “glowing”, this one is more cute in an adorable sort of way!

Amy Bakes Everything January 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Yummy, persimmons are so good…they’re out of season here and hard to find. Bread photos are gorgeous!

Kate @ Diethood.com January 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Your bread looks soooo good! I need to get my hands on some persimmon…I can’t find any around here.

Roxan January 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Lora, those pictures are awesome! I love the high waisted yellow shorts, just as much as I love the knee high white socks. So nice of you to share these with us.

Evan @swEEts January 6, 2011 at 5:57 pm

This bread sounds like the perfect little snack for a good morning :) I’ve still never tried persimmons.. it isn’t fair.. I need to get on this immediately!

Dionne Baldwin January 6, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Heehee Twitter can be addicting. I’ve been on it more lately…but it helps me keep in touch!

I’ve never had a persimmon before but I should probably start. This bread looks and sounds delicious!

Dionne

Trish January 6, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Oh my goodness..love these photos!! You still look the same..I could identify you immediately. So cute. I loved visiting Taormina, Sicily and the Silician islands when I went in ’03. The people were so friendly and the food was yummy. You’re lucky to be from such a lovely place. Your cake cake sounds delicious and unique…great flavors.

Rachel January 6, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Ah food memories. It’s amazing how deeply taste is connected to our past.
I love your family pictures and the bread is gorgeous! Persimmons are so wonderful but so expensive and hard to find – it’s really too bad.

Laurie Alves January 7, 2011 at 12:00 am

Beautiful story! I love those thoughts. It’s what inspires me in the kitchen, most often. Thank you so much for sharing it. Being of Mediterranean heritage, I have pictures that are very similar to those. It really tugs at me. Thanks again

Lizzy January 7, 2011 at 12:53 am

We can buy persimmon pulp around here in the fall…and persimmon pudding is very popular for Thanksgiving. I really need to bite the bullet and bake something wonderful like your bread! I love your mom’s addition :)

SMITH BITES January 7, 2011 at 1:52 am

i really, really want to make this bread Lora – i have persimmons in my fridge but not sure if they’re past the point of no return, we’ll see. LOVE the tube socks girl – ‘you’re hot!’ LOL xo

Tiffany January 7, 2011 at 2:03 am

What awesome pictures of Sicily! … And I love white chocolate too!

Sandra January 7, 2011 at 3:56 am

Anything with white chocolate immediately grabs my attention and that topping…Oh My!

sara @ CaffeIna January 7, 2011 at 5:58 am

Persimmon and white chocolate is a combo I’ve never tried. Sounds interesting. Those pics….oh those pics…you know, they remind a lot to me …I’m getting nostalgic…i need to go eat something sweet

happywhennothungry January 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm

This bread looks amazing! I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve never baked with persimmons before. Thanks for sharing your family photos too! Spending summers in Sicily sounds like hard work, but someone’s got to do it right? :-)

Grace January 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm

You brought me right back to 1979 and trip to my family hometown in Chieti. I love persimmons, they are rare to find here. When I do find them I buy for my entire family, mom, brothers and sisters. I’ve never thought to bake with them. Hopefully I can find some at the local market and try out this recipe. Thank you for sharing Lora. I love reading your family stories.

Jamie January 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Yeah, sometimes hubby and I – or girlfriends and I – wonder if being this pazza is normal? My sons think we are nuts but normal, mature or not life is loads more fun this way, don’t you think? My favorite thing is when we do or say something and the boys actually laugh even though they try and pretend they don’t think we are funny! The bread is perfect! Perfect texture and gorgeous flavors! I’ve never ever baked a persimmon…

Liana @ femme fraiche January 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Although your bread looks delicious what I loved most about this post was the story! Ahh how jealous I am of your trips to Sicily! I went this summer and thought it was beautiful. And by the way, I think you’re style is kinda cool and could TOTALLY fly nowadays;) I actually have shorts that same colour!!

The Mom Chef January 10, 2011 at 3:10 am

I love seeing those pictures of Sicily. I also love your pranks. I’ve never thought of leaving notes on cars, but it would be fun to see reactions (I hope).

This bread looks so, so good. Thank you for using white chocolate, one of my favorites.

Sue January 12, 2011 at 4:03 pm

What beautiful bread! I’ve never made anything with persimmons, but this is a good recipe to start with! Love your tube socks and shorts:) CUTE!

Isabella December 13, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Yummy bread made it yesterday and the family devoured it before I even got a bite!! Plan on making it for Christmas too… :-)

Isabella December 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm