Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mini Bites

by cakeduchess on January 31, 2011 · 39 comments

peanutbutterbites4
“Let’s get ready to rumble!” It was the second game of the basketball season for my daughter and her team yesterday. The court is darkened and the disco light is spinning above. The girls are lined up ready to run out to the middle of the court.

The shiny tinsel is what the girls run through one by one as their names are called. I no longer get the butterflies when her name is called. This is her fourth year playing and instead of butterflies, I feel pride when I see her run out when they announce her name. In the first year, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was never very athletic or competitive as a child. My daughter must take after my husband. She is a natural.
peanutbutterbites6
The last three years, her team has been unbeatable. Each year there are different players. It is a Christian league that is comprised of students from all the different schools in the area. You never know who will be on your team until they send out the team list after the tryouts.
Last week was the first game and they lost. My daughter was not satisfied with the way the team played. I tried to encourage her and explain how it was the first game. How some of these girls had never even played basketball before and this was their first game. I said, “It’s not about winning. It’s about trying your best.” She responded, “Of course it’s about winning mommy. That’s why we are playing.” I let out a big sigh.
Yes, of course it is about the winning. It’s also about the moments of being a fair player and not playing dirty.  When a team member from the opposing team falls, stopping to check if she is ok. Some of the girls have parents that think they are at an NBA game. They get so excited and so angry in the bleachers when their daughters make a mistake. I get so aggravated! It’s elementary school aged girls playing on a Christian league. Calm down people and enjoy the game.
Yesterday’s game ended the way their first game did. Another loss. My daughter was frustrated and a little bitter. She explained her frustration with the other team members not knowing what to do when they got the ball. I explained how each week it will get better.I talked about how the girls will learn about the game and she has to be supportive and teach them what she knows and have them follow her lead.
I explained to my daughter that even though they once again lost, she is a winner. She is a winner because she did her best and that’s enough for me. And then we hugged and talked about baking something to make her feel better.
peanutbutterbites8

peanutbutterbites

These Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mini Bites are wonderful! They have just the right crispiness on the outside and are a little soft on the inside. The perfect amount of peanut butter with delicious chocolate chips make them hard to eat just one!Winking smile

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mini Bites

2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Grease and flour a mini muffin pan or a 9×9 baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat the eggs and both sugars until smooth. Add the peanut butter and continue mixing until well combined. Beat in the vanilla and butter and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
Measure the flour, baking powder and salt and sift directly into the batter.

Mix gently until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remains. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the chocolate chips.
Spread the dough into the mini muffin pan or the  9×9 pan with a spatula. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it. Allow to cool for 1 hour before cutting

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE January 31, 2011 at 3:27 am

YUM. You’d have to make a triple batch if I was around!

sprinkling of sugar January 31, 2011 at 3:31 am

I always love to bake when i want to feel better, it has such a wonderful way of bringing a warm joy to the day. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe and sweet story!

baking.serendipity January 31, 2011 at 3:39 am

These would make me feel better too!

Roxan January 31, 2011 at 3:52 am

Hey Lora! These look delicious!
How do you like the Fat Witch Brownies cookbook? I’ve heard mixed reviews about it…

Elin January 31, 2011 at 4:14 am

Lora…you are such a wonderful momsie and I am sure you both have a wonderful time baking these delectable peanut butter chocolate mini bites together. Great Mom and Daughter bonding time :) I can only drool for the time being.

Have a great Monday,
Elin

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 31, 2011 at 4:33 am

A batch of these would certainly make me feel better too, chocolate and peanut butter has a magical way of doing that doesn’t it?

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels January 31, 2011 at 4:44 am

Those are so cute and I love the name of the dessert! I just adore how you and your daughter bake together and what a great way to make her feel better :)

Monet January 31, 2011 at 5:02 am

You are such a great mom. After reading your posts, I want to start my own family…right away! I know your sweet family feels so blessed to have you. I love these sweet treats, and I love who made them even more. Thank you for sharing with me, Lora. I hope you have a great Monday.

Christine Wu January 31, 2011 at 5:15 am

ADOPT ME! :)

Stephanie January 31, 2011 at 5:43 am

These look awesome! I keep seeing peanut butter and chocolate desserts on different food blogs (and I just made some cupcakes myself). I forgot what a great combo it is and I like that yours are a bit crispy and soft at the same time.

Sandra January 31, 2011 at 7:04 am

This is wonderful post and you are winner mom..your mini bites look stunning!!!

RawFooDHaven January 31, 2011 at 7:10 am

This is just wonderful! A precious moment with your daughter and a delicious choco chips. This will surely make her feel better.

Allison January 31, 2011 at 7:32 am

You are such a great Mom! And well most obviously an excellent blogger. This is why I’ve awarded you a Stylish Blogger Award on my blog. You rock sista!

Medeja January 31, 2011 at 10:42 am

With peanut butter Im sure they smelled and tasted really lovely :)

Tiffany January 31, 2011 at 11:53 am

I’m with your daughter, it is about winning! Kids are so wise… hahaha! And these peanut buttery bites of goodness sound amazing!

Annie January 31, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Your such a good Momma! These are hard lessons for children to learn but they are so important. Nothing lifts the spirit like some peanut butter and chocolate!

Jamie January 31, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Oh poor daughter, learning the tough lessons of life. But thank heavens she has a mom that can make it all better with peanut butter and chocolate chips. And yeah, fab combo, babes! Now I want some too!

Chef Dennis January 31, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Hi Lora
those little bites of heaven must have helped your daughter some after her loss….it is so hard to be an athelete and learn to accept loss, it important to learn that lesson, but to always remember we play to win….if that wasn’t important they wouldn’t keep score! I have been an athlete most of my life and healthy competition helps shape our lives, as I am sure it will help your daughter through out life…we all lose sooner or later, and understanding that helps us get stronger for the next time!
Have a great day and tell your daughter better days are coming!
Dennis

Stephanie January 31, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Yummy! These look so cute!

MaryMoh January 31, 2011 at 1:50 pm

These look really delicious. They look really pretty. I love the cupcakes shape. I love peanut butter and have just made some peanut butter filled almond cookies. Can’t wait for them to cool down. We must e craving for the same thing :D

happywhennothungry January 31, 2011 at 2:43 pm

These mini bites look amazing! I love anything with peanut butter and chocolate. Love your story… must be so much fun to watch your daughter play bball!

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow January 31, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Oh yum! I want one right now!!!

Evan Thomas January 31, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Great recipe! Getting me hungry for chocolate and peanut butter at 10am :-)

briarrose January 31, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Sounds like a wonderful mix of textures. These are just too cute. :) Peanut butter and chocolate…it is always a winner.

Pretend Chef January 31, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Hearing your words of encouragement to your daughter make me realize that soon enough I will be having to give my son the same line. Hopefully he will take after his daddy and just be a natural at all things sports. Nothing is more comforting than a hug from mom and a delicious baked good. This is your rockstar mom side shining through! I really need to keep baking powder stocked in my pantry, sigh!

Amanda January 31, 2011 at 4:44 pm

If I could lick the screen right now I would. These look fabulous! I’m so glad that I found your blog and am enjoying all your baking creations – I’m not much of a baker but trying! I’ve listed you on my blog as a stylish blogger. Feel free to participate as you like.

Claire Gallam January 31, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Freakin delicious!! It’s like a reese cup with a cupcake which is heaven in my book!

Brandie@thecountrycook January 31, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Oh my these look sooo good. You have no idea of the magnitude of my sweet tooth today!!

Trish January 31, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I lovvve peanut butter and chocolate together too. And I love how they’re minis. I used to play basketball. It’s a great sport. Lots of cardio and eye-hand coordination. But losing is sometimes hard to digest. Wish you daughter best of luck!

Sue January 31, 2011 at 9:42 pm

These would make anyone feel better, especially me! :)

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom January 31, 2011 at 9:55 pm

These sound wickedly good. I’m RTing too.

Evan @swEEts January 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm

You know the way to my heart oh yes you do, peanut butter and chocolate are my favorite!

Lizzy February 1, 2011 at 1:11 am

I adore mini-treats…and as usual, you’ve posted another winner.

Isn’t it funny how early the competitiveness comes out? My youngest was on a soccer team who finally made their first goal towards the end of the season…they were SO excited…even though they lost…again. You’re a good mom to reinforce the life lessons of winning, losing and trying your hardest.

EatLiveRun February 1, 2011 at 1:15 am

yum!!

polwig February 1, 2011 at 2:14 am

Great post.. your daughter is so lucky to have you and a little competition and loosing never hurt anyone, it almost seems like it is building her stronger and more motivated. Plus the cupcakes help for sure, you have to be careful she may want to loose just for the cupcakes :).. nah

sweetsbysillianah February 1, 2011 at 2:31 am

yay for mini bites… those looks dangerously good!

Sandra February 1, 2011 at 2:40 am

3 cheers for you and your daughter!

scrambledhenfruit February 1, 2011 at 5:28 am

Peanut butter and chocolate are a perfect combination for these. :) Great for those mommy/daughter talks.

Montanna Honc @ Slab2626 February 1, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I think we have the same brain. I made these a few days ago and stumbled upon your recipe. I use the creamy peanut butter though, but I might have to try the crunchy!