No Need to Knead Bread!

by cakeduchess on January 28, 2011 · 46 comments

bread1

Convenience is wonderful. You could get a decent loaf of fresh bread in my town. Decent sometimes just does not cut it. Occasionally, I crave some really good bread. This is a recipe for really GREAT bread.
The simplicity of the recipe will make you giddy. When we were in New York City three weeks ago, we had the most fabulous dinner at our friends’ house. Roberto is a chef and restaurant owner. Nicole is a chef. You know I was REALLY looking forward to seeing them again!Winking smile
bread2
We walked up to their gorgeous brownstone. There was snow all over the ground! It was glorious to see piles of snow! The kids and my hubby broke out into a spontaneous snow ball fight while the sun was setting. I, of course, started to take photos. This was their first snowball fight. My kids usually are having sand ball fights on the beach here in Florida.
The smell coming from the kitchen was so welcoming. The spread on their table in the kitchen was heavenly. Cheeses, olives, and different salamis were cut and ready to eat with this fantastic bread Nicole was telling me about. Nicole told me the story of how she made it. That you mix it and there is no kneading. You let it sit on the counter over night. She then explained how the hard part is making sure you’re home while the bread is rising and the Dutch oven is heating up in the oven.
If that was the hard part, I HAD to try to make this bread!Winking smileAnd so as soon as we got back, I did. I love this recipe!!!!!

I couldn’t even wait a second to let this bread cool. Instead of pretty, thin slices…I cut chunks!bread3
Breakfast was all I was thinking of the next day. The bread was much easier to slice. It was just perfect with my cherry jam and steaming hot caffe’ latte. I can’t forget to mention the thick pats of butter I spread on it first. Winking smile
bread4
Oh! The butter and jam…mmm!
bread5
This was Nicole’s bread. She used whole wheat flour with the bread flour.
The table was just lovely by their fireplace and the Christmas tree that they left up for us to see. It was a delightful evening spent with old friends.
This bread has a crunchy crust and soft inside. My husband wasn’t too thrilled that the oven was on such high heat for two hours. We don’t have a gas stove. I won’t make this every day…but definitely once a month because it is a bread I will be craving often.

No Knead Bread

2 1/4 cups unbleached bread flour, plus more for surface and hands
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour (I used AP flour-I ran out of whole wheat)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
one 1/4 ounce envelope yeast -0.8 grams (recipe in Martha Stewart’s magazine says 1/2 tsp-I measure approx 2 tsp)
1 1/3 cups cool water (55-65 degrees F)
wheat bran, coarse cornmeal, or more flour, for dusting

Directions

1. Stir together flours, salt, and yeast in a medium bowl. Add water, and mix well using a wooden spoon or your hand until dough is wet and sticky. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand at room temperature until dough doubles in volume and the surface is dotted with bubbles (approximately 12-18 hours).

2. Transfer dough to a floured surface using a rubber spatula or a bowl scraper to scrape dough from bowl.

3. Fold dough using lightly floured hands, lifting edges toward the center. Shape dough into a loose round.

bread
4. Generously dust a clean kitchen towel with wheat bran, cornmeal, or flour (I used cornmeal). Gently place dough on towel, seam side down. Dust the top lightly with wheat bran, cornmeal, or flour.
bread6
5. Loosely fold ends of towel over dough to cover. Let stand in a warm place until almost doubled in volume, 1-2 hours (the dough should not spring back when pressed).

6. After dough has risen for 30 minutes, preheat oven to 475 with rack in lower third of oven. Heat a covered 3 1/2 quart heavy ovenproof Dutch oven (9 inches in diameter) for 30 minutes or until dough is ready. Carefully remove preheated pot from oven, and uncover. Unfold towel, and quickly but carefully invert dough into pot, seam side up.

7. Cover with lid. Bake for 30 minutes.

8. Uncover pot, and bake until bread is dark brown (mine was golden brown)but not burned, 15-20 minutes.

9. Carefully lift bread from pot using metal spatulas, and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe: The Tastemakers –Pane Integrale (Whole Wheat Bread)Martha Stewart Living

Thank you for the kind words on my last post. I appreciate your friendship and support. It means so much to me.

Thank you for stopping by today. Hope your week was full of good food and happiness! Smile

Claire Gallam January 28, 2011 at 3:11 am

I love homemade bread, there’s no better!

foodwanderings January 28, 2011 at 3:12 am

No knead I am there. :) Looks really good so surprised at the wonderful rise. You are a miracle maker/baker:).

Sandra January 28, 2011 at 3:13 am

Looks awesome! I am bread addict LOL!

Chef Dennis January 28, 2011 at 3:16 am

Hi Lora
now thats a great loaf of bread, I have not used the pot method but no knead are the only breads I make so far….I will have to try this one
Sounds like it was delicious!
Dennis

Lo-mo January 28, 2011 at 3:21 am

what a nice looking loaf of bread….where’s my peanut butter??? I may have difficulties waiting that long for bread and have to bake a quicker loaf while waiting! Looks fabulous!

lil @ sweetsbysillianah January 28, 2011 at 3:42 am

what a beautiful loaf of bread!

tastesbetterwithfriends January 28, 2011 at 4:32 am

That looks great and doable since I’m just learning to knead properly these days. I’m still wary of using yeast, I’ve failed a couple of times, but got to keep trying!
p.s. it’s weird see a post with Christmas decorations lol

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels January 28, 2011 at 4:35 am

Wow is that loaf of bread gorgeous, I LOVE the first photo. Just beautiful! I’m quite happy to see that you cut your bread into big chunks ;) That’s the best way, yum! And the butter and cherry jam just makes it oh so better. :)

sara @ CaffeIna January 28, 2011 at 4:42 am

There really are no excuses for not making bread after reading this post! It looks fantastic and it’s a no knead bread? perfect for those days with long hours of work :) Thanks Lora!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 28, 2011 at 4:44 am

Oh I love no-knead bread, it has the crispiest crust and the softest interior crumb – so good!

Monet January 28, 2011 at 5:18 am

Hi Lovely Lady…what a wonderful evening you had with friends. Hearing about the food, their place, and the joy you shared brought warmth to my heart. I’ve only heard great things about this bread…but kneading is my favorite part of bread-making…I will send this recipe to Ryan though! I hope you have a wonderful Friday. I can’t believe the weekend is almost here! Thank you for sharing, my sweet woman. Many hugs from Austin!

A little bit of everything January 28, 2011 at 5:25 am

i love home made bread and yours look so good.

i think you mistyped the yeast quantity 1/2 tsp is way less than 1 package dry yeast. I think in one package there are almost 2 tsp.

have a wonderful day Lola and thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jill Colonna January 28, 2011 at 10:02 am

Lora,
Love the story and you really transport us there with you. I’ve thrown snowballs and helped with the bread and joined you with a lovely glass of wine. Thanks for sharing and bon weekend!

Cake Duchess January 28, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Hi Roxana-I changed it.That’s exactly how it is typed in the Martha Stewart’s magazine. I do measure about 2 tsps in 1 of those 0.8 gram packets. :)

A Thought For Food January 28, 2011 at 12:45 pm

There is NOTHING better than homemade bread. I’ve seen a few no knead recipes but have yet to try any of them out. But that was before I saw your wonderful post… now I must try it

Annie January 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I am lucky to have numerous wonderful bakeries in my neighborhood but sometimes I get the urge to make it myself. Your bread looks delicious and I love the fact that it’s so easy! I have a dutch oven that I have been dying to use too!

happywhennothungry January 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm

This bread looks so crusty and yummy! One of the most annoying parts about baking bread is the kneading, so I def have to try this recipe!

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow January 28, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Yum! That looks so delicious! And no kneading! Fantastic!

Michael Toa January 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I am new at baking breads and recipe like this is a great way for me to start. I cannot wait to give this a try. I love the smell of freshly baked breads.

Kori January 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm

This looks amazing! Wish I could have a slice for breakfast right now ;)

Pretend Chef January 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Looks like we were both in our kitchens making bread. This sounds and looks amazing. I have no willpower over fresh bread. I would pull my infused olive oils out and dip until I was in a food coma. Yummy!

Ken│hungry rabbit January 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Just in time for my bread craving. Perfect for weekend baking.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel January 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Homemade bread is the best! I don’t have a dutch oven though so I’ll have to wait to try this one out.

briarrose January 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm

What a lovely loaf. It looks delicious.

Ang January 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm

The best part about this bread of course is the no kneading, but also that my bff just bought me a dutch oven and I’m thrilled to get to do this amazing bread in it. So excited, thanks for sharing!

Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy January 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Hi Lora,
I just hopped to your blog just to find such a easy bread.Looks perfectly baked and a wonderful crust.My husband loves home baked bread for sandwiches.I still dont own a dutch oven so will have to buy that first.So glad to follow you.

Lizzy January 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I tried this recipe for the first time a few weeks back…isn’t it marvelous?? I love the addition of whole wheat flour…I will make your version next. It looks beautiful :)

Sprinkles of Parsley January 28, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Looks amazing! I make the same bread and it’s changed my life!

claudia lamascolo January 29, 2011 at 12:18 am

lovely better than any dessert to me!

Cookin' Canuck January 29, 2011 at 1:43 am

There is nothing better than the aroma of baked bread. No-knead bread is a fantastic way to go! Have you checked out Zoe Francois’ book “Healthy Bread in 5 minutes a Day”? It’s one of my favorites.

Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams January 29, 2011 at 2:31 am

It’s so much easier when you don’t have to knead bread yet can get fabulous results. Great recipe!

marla January 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm

This sounds like an amazing night with friends! This bread does sound simple & delish – must try. How fun was that snowball fight!

Carole January 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Yum!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Lovely! I actually enjoy kneading bread at times… But, I’m sure this would be a nice change from time to time. I’m definitely going to give it a try!

SaraOneTribeGourmet January 29, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I LOVE homemade bread! Yours looks so delicious! I have been baking lots of flat breads these days and will definitely try your recipe too! Thanks for sharing Bella! :)

Raina January 30, 2011 at 12:56 am

Sounds like you had a wonderful time in NYC. Your bread looks wonderful. I love that there is no kneading involved. That is the one thing I never like about making bread. I will definitely make this. I think the kids might have another snow day this week, according to the weather forecast. So this will be a great treat for me to make then:)

Reeni January 30, 2011 at 1:51 am

I’ve made this a few times before and love it! Who knew you could make bread like this? The last time I made it I didn’t heat my pan for 30 minutes – just long enough for the oven to heat up and it turned out fine.

BakingWithoutABox January 30, 2011 at 2:56 am

This looks oh-my-goodness delicious. And the no knead part – I’m all there. Totally making this for the hubs.
Wonderful NY photos! Looks like the kids and grownups all had fun.
Love that photo of your hand shaping the bread! Just beautiful.

Tamanna January 30, 2011 at 4:19 pm

home made bread is something beyond this world….the fresh aroma and the fresh taste nothing beats it! i love this recipe !

Tonya - What's On My Plate January 30, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I’ve been making the no-knead bread for about 4 or 5 years now and LOVE IT. I was never a bread baker before but now I totally am. I’ve tried so many variations on my way to making a whole wheat loaf (secret is gluten flour) and blogged about it along the way. Also fun to throw in olives or nuts.

Sandra January 31, 2011 at 2:54 am

This would be so good dipped in olive oil with freshly ground pepper and a light dusting of shaved parmesan. Carb addicts unite!

Laurie Alves January 31, 2011 at 8:45 pm

My only New Years Resolution is to learn how to make a good crusty Bread! I’m on this one! I have a dickens of a time finding a good “crusty” bread here in Fl. ugh… Thank you Doll! Great share! Love it!

Sue January 31, 2011 at 9:40 pm

WOW, it looks fantastic! Love the crustiness and the no kneading factor! Thanks, Lora!

Terra January 31, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Definitely need to save this recipe!!! The bread toasted looks soooo crunchy and delicious:)
Take care,
Terra

trailtotrain February 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Making this!..I can’t eat it yet (I had gum surgery on Friday and am on a strictly “mushy foods” diet until the 18th) but I sure as heck will as soon as possible!