Michel Rostang’s Double Chocolate Torte–French Fridays with Dorie

by cakeduchess on January 21, 2011 · 52 comments

doublechoconew
I chose a great week to participate again in French Fridays with Dorie. When I saw the group was doing Michel Rostang’s Double Chocolate Torte,  I just couldn’t stop myself from trying the recipe!

It’s been a funny week. Funny in a sort of weird funny way. I’ve been fighting fever/sinus infection kind of bug. My head’s felt like a balloon about to pop and I think I missed 1/2 of what everyone has said to me. Maybe that’s a good thing? ;) My kid almost choked on a piece of plastic wrap from a candy packet. You know, those kind of funny things.
I’m not complaining! My infection is getting better. Most importantly, my swift opening of my kid’s mouth, and even swifter plucking out the plastic was amazing. I was just minding my own business stirring some pastina at the stove for our chicken soup. I turn around and see him gagging on the kitchen floor.  I pat myself on the back for not passing out from the high level of stress! Usually my hubby takes care of emergencies like that. He was working. It’s amazing what you think you could never do, you just do.
The incident reminded me of when my brother was four and he swallowed a penny! I remember seeing his torso dangling in mid-air as my mom was shaking him upside down by his ankles. She got the penny out. Whatever works.
doublechoco
So I needed to end my week with a lovely Double Chocolate Torte. I deserved it, for goodness sake! We all deserve it! By the way, I snatched those pretty mint sprigs from my neighbor’s garden. Do we wives/moms/ladies ever get enough thank you’s for all the little fires we put out? Do you thank your mom enough for all the little things she did? I try to remember to thank my mom every day for just being here. Yeah, I’m a good kid.
The recipe is full of wonderful chocolate, espresso, and a touch of Nutella! No, the original recipe doesn’t call for Nutella.  I couldn’t stop myself! I added 3 or 4 heaping tablespoons. The recipe was confusing to me. Confusing because Dorie gave three ways to make it. It’s simple and straightforward ingredients, but you could serve it cold, baked and chilled, or warm. I went with the only option that made sense to our family:  fresh from the oven.

The French Fridays with Dorie group is not sharing recipes from Around my French Table. You could join the group and cook/bake along with us.

I can’t share the Torte recipe, but I can share my Strawberry Coulis recipe! ;) I know you’re excited! It’s so easy to make and goes so well with chocolate or even a simple pound cake.

This is what I used to make my Strawberry Coulis design. A simple squirt bottle I got at Wal Mart for I think less than $1. I fill another one with olive oil.
doublechoco4
Strawberry Coulis
1 cup sliced frozen strawberries
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Add the strawberries to a small bowl and let them thaw out. When the strawberries are thawed out, mix the powdered sugar into the strawberries. Put the strawberry mixture into a blender. Blend until nice and smooth.
Add the strawberry coulis to a squirt bottle. Or drizzle on with a spoon.

Remember I promised you a little tour of Eataly in New York City? Maybe you missed my babbling about our wonderful trip to New York  City last week! It was amazing! I adore NYC! We got to spend an afternoon in Mario Batali’s new Italian food mecca: Eataly!

It is divided into different dining areas. There is section after section of Italian products. Here is a sampling of the different areas you could visit.
My head was spinning with all the pasta selections! I felt like I was at a super market in Italy.
This was one of the delicious pastas we had at lunch. Simple and oh so good!
Here is where you can select your fresh meats.
Then there was this table wet up with Mario and Lidia’s books in front of a room that they use for cooking school.DSCN5040
Here is the cooking school.
This guy rocked! He saw me staring at his mozzarella and offered me a chunk. How cool is that?  DSCN5052
Italian cookies! There were so many of my favorite cookies! I wanted to buy them all. Or rip open the packages and sample each one of them!
There is a Lavazza coffee bar and there was this espresso bar. We had a fantastic espresso here. And some lovely cookies.
Oh gosh. My head was spinning! The girl was about to put these in the case. They were filled with limoncello cream! DSCN5062
Mmm. These desserts all looked tempting!DSCN5063
Here was another section where you could eat at the bar.
This was called “La Piazza”. You could stand at a table and have wonderful cheese and other tasty treats. Or just a glass of wine. And enjoy the views of all the beautiful food around you. DSCN5067
We walked out on the Gelato section and it was right in front of the Flatiron building. I love the Flatiron building. NYC is too cool.

I hope you had a fabulous week! Thank you for stopping by to see what’s been baking! I appreciate your kind words. I truly do!

Medeja January 21, 2011 at 3:49 am

You definitely deserve that cake after such week :)

A little bit of everything January 21, 2011 at 3:57 am

i’m so weak when it comes to emergencies. when we have to take our daughter to have her vaccine taken my husbands goes inside the lab, if i go in i turn pale in a heart beat.

the cake looks delicious and bet went perfect with the strawberry coulis

thanks for sharing these wonderful photos with us.
hope you’ll feel much better Lola

Candy January 21, 2011 at 4:07 am

Fresh out of the oven, heavenly!
And what a well-deserved treat after a week like that!!!
Loved your NYC pictures. Delightful.

t.t. for spoonables January 21, 2011 at 4:09 am

Love your coulis idea. Seems like the perfect complement to the cake! Thanks for the suggestions!

Nina January 21, 2011 at 4:31 am

Your cake looks wonderful! Nicely done, esp with the coulis. I made it 4 times and, alas…didn’t get the egg whites right to puff, but it tasted delicious! Eataly is fantastic, isn’t it?!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels January 21, 2011 at 5:23 am

Your cake is gorgeous. I love the idea of making a strawberry coulis, thank you so much for the recipe. It sounds sooo good. And oh my word I want to go to Eataly!!! Mmmmm food heaven :)

Bridgett January 21, 2011 at 6:10 am

I love the coulis but the torte definitely steals the scene. I could use a slice of that right now! Looks like you were in food heaven.

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite January 21, 2011 at 11:27 am

You must be the only person I have seen so far who got any height to the cake. I did everything according to the recipe but no height at all. Was delicious all the same but wondering what sized pan you used and if you doubled the recipe? Wondering what nutella does to mousse – did you melt it with the chocolate?

Lizzy January 21, 2011 at 11:54 am

Glad you’re starting to feel better, Lora…and glad you were fast on your feet with your sweet boy (whew)! Your cake is exquisite…done to perfection!!! Thanks for the fabulous tour of Eataly…now I’m yearning to go to NYC!

Pretend Chef January 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I love your presentation! Creativity does not run through my veins the way it does in my 4 siblings and mom and dad. Blah! Eataly has my head spinning and I wasn’t even there! I get overwhelmed with excitement and wanting to see it all (case in point was our recent trip to Pittsburgh and walking the markets). I would love to visit NYC at least once!

Cakelaw January 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I am happy to hear that you are feeling better and the gag crisis was averted. Your cake sure looks gorgeous with the bright red coulees. Loved the tour too.

Jayne January 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm

You definitely deserved this cake after your week! And the pictures of Eataly!! I must go there one day! Great post!

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom January 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Chocolate has a way of making the week a little easier to handle. Your torte is beautiful. I’m loving your NYC tour too. Your pictures today remind me of our 2009 trip when we wandered through D’Agostino’s talking about the TV show Will & Grace.

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow January 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm

That looks so amazing! your plating is beautiful!! I definitely want a slice now!

A Thought For Food January 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I love this post!!! That torte looks fantastic!

briarrose January 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Definitely a week that needed a chocolate chaser. ;) Beautiful torte!

Ken│hungry rabbit January 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Beautiful Torte and a wonderful story about your brother, too funny. After reading this, I have no excuse not to pay Eataly a visit.

Wilde in the Kitchen January 21, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Way to be super mom and spring into action! I remember choking on something when I was little and my mom had a very similar reaction. Moms are awesome :)

Great looking torte/coulis! And thanks for pointing out Eataly. I’ll have to check it out next weekend!

KB January 21, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Wow, your torte looks (and sounds) amazing! It was my first FFWD, and when I saw your link I just had to come over and get the details. Thanks!

blackbookkitchendiaries January 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm

this looks so pretty! ..and thank you for sharing this post:)

Dionne Baldwin January 21, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Oh my this looks decadent! I could really go for a piece of this.

Steph January 21, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Great plating technique!! Man you’re a pro :) I fell in love with the richness of this cake, so good!

Emily Malloy January 21, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Wow!

So send some of this to me?! Please?!??!

:o)

Sara January 21, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Gorgeous cake! Love the idea of pairing it with strawberry sauce. :)

happywhennothungry January 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm

This looks amazing and I love that you added some Nutella too! Love all your photos as well :-)

Christine Wu January 21, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I want the cake! :D Love the pics of Eataly, looks like you had fun.

MaryMoh January 21, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Wow…that must be a sure fright when you saw your child with the plastic in his mouth. That would give me days of nightmare! Hope you have fully recovered. You need good rest and good food. I’m sure that chocolate cake brought you smiles and speedy recovery :D Please take care.

Steph January 22, 2011 at 12:22 am

What a week…good for you keeping your cool. But you’re right…it’s what we mom’s do. When we were in France this summer, my son almost got gored by a steer (not so funny story is on my blog) and I was so darn cool while it was happening, but shaky for many hours after it was all over! Love, love, love your pics of Eataly and I am incredibly jealous!!

Betsy January 22, 2011 at 1:31 am

I love Nutella! What a great idea to add some to the cake. Great photos of Eataly! I’m going to have a plan a trip there. It looks AMAZING!

Sandra January 22, 2011 at 4:09 am

Love it!!!! Wonderful post, recipe, and photos!
Bravo!!!!

SaraOneTribeGourmet January 22, 2011 at 4:55 am

Oh Yum, Double Chocolate Torte!!! Love your Eataly pics…I have been there 5 times already but I want to go again and again! :)

Angie's Recipes January 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Double chocolate cake looks so tempting! I want to rip all those cookies bag open too!

Ilke January 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Seems like you really deserved the cake after all that happen. I think it is some kinda instinct that kicks in when you see your own blood in danger, I believe we all can do a lot of things that we have never thought of!

The cake looks delicious. Glad you added Nutella :)

Susan January 22, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Phew! What a week! What a chocolate torte! What a trip to NYC (I love the Flatiron Building too!). What a brave mom, though! Pat yourself on the back now that you’re done with patting smallfry on the back! Good job, Mom!

Amy Bakes Everything January 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Strawberry coulis sounds like a no-brainer match with this torte! Yours is gorgeous, I love it that you added Nutella! Mario Batali rocks!

Tiffany January 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Cake looks great! … As do your pictures!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ January 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm

U sure do deserve the cake!
And it looks soo wonderful with the coulis , really good!
I use strawberries too , but a little differently!
NYC is one of my all time fav cities too and ur pics make me wanna take a flight right away!
Oh LvZZA is my very fav coffee and i have it almost every day!
Freshly brewed!
And those desserts are really fantastic!
Ahh the Mozrla guy is cute and was glad to give it to somebody as sweet as ya !
Take care and enjoy the cake!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ January 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm

And i have an earnest request to u too:-)

My blog has been nominated for best if Indian Food blog awards
there is a poll , right on FB

And u can also vote for me here at my site

Im 4th from Below or number 14 , Bright Morning Star! —http://brightmorningstarsfoodie.blogspot.com/

scrambledhenfruit January 22, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I agree that you deserved this torte this week. It’s gorgeous, especially plated with that strawberry coulis. :)I’m loving all of the chocolate tortes- it’s making me sorry I didn’t participate this week! So glad your little one is ok. :)

Evan @swEEts January 22, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Beautiful torte Lora! I’m sorry it even took me so long to see! I’ve been battling a horrible head/throat cold all week so I know the feeling :( At least you have this delicious torte to make you feel better!

Chef Dennis January 23, 2011 at 2:56 am

you know if it wasn’t for our mothers remaining calm when we did something stupid, I don’t think half of us would be here today!! I do hope your feeling better, I know sinus infections all to well….I can’t believe you managed to make that glorious cake..its a wow for sure!
Thanks so much for taking us on the tour of NY with you…what a great trip!
Cheers
Dennis

Cookin' Canuck January 23, 2011 at 4:31 am

Those maternal instincts really do kick in when our brains are telling us to panic. Well done!

This torte looks absolutely fantastic and I love the addition of Nutella.

Monet January 23, 2011 at 5:48 am

Oh bless your heart, Lora! I would have been terrified. I’m so glad that you were able to get that piece of plastic out. It reminds me of how quickly life can change…thank goodness there was no tragedy! Your chocolate cake looks perfect, and I loved seeing the photographs from that amazing Italian mecca. It is on my to-do list when we go back to NYC. Have a great Sunday, sweet girl. I hope you continue to feel better!

Katie@Cozydelicious January 23, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Your cake looks wonderful – beautiful presentation and beautiful photos! And Eataly… amazing! I went once and MUST go back! I need to get myself to NY again ASAP!

Cher January 23, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Very nice – and yes, mother’s do deserve a bit of reward for all of the rigamarole with live through day in & day out. The Nutella was a great idea!

Goodies by the Pound January 23, 2011 at 9:55 pm

This torte looks delicious. I’m going to have to try this! Following you now and looking forward to all your great baking ideas!

Elizabeth (Goodies by the Pound).

kita January 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Are those hanging meats and cheeses??? ooooh!!!! And wow that last picture (of the building) came out so sharp and beautiful!

BakingWithoutABox January 23, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Yay for super mommy skills! There’s just so much good stuff in this post. From the first photo which should be friggin published at any photo site to the tour. Oh my gosh. Had to read it twice to fully absorb everything.

sara @ CaffeIna January 24, 2011 at 2:23 am

I will follow the previous post: yay for super mommy skills! I think it’s unbelievable what a mommy (or daddy) can pull out when necessary! You did have a funky week huh? Now forget about it…eat that cake…i can leave you my slice too as I’m not a chocolate lover…in this moment I’m more focus on those amazing pictures…so jealous :)
Wish you a better week!

baking.serendipity January 24, 2011 at 3:20 am

Your week/sinus infection sounds a little like mine. I’m glad your child is alright! And that you had this torte to end the week with :)

Magic of Spice January 24, 2011 at 5:40 am

Hope your sinus infection is clearing up and you are feeling better. Emergencies like that are strange indeed, you just DO and thinking comes later…
This cake looks fantastic, as well as your coulis!
Hope you had a relaxing weekend :)

onewetfoot January 24, 2011 at 5:40 am

The hazelnut and strawberry flavours must have been wonderful with this cake. I’m glad you kept your cool for your son. That’s your parental instinct kicking in!

Your tour of Eataly makes me want to put on my travelling shoes.