Gooey Sticky Cinnamon Buns

by cakeduchess on January 7, 2011 · 58 comments

It’s a good thing I don’t eat like this every day! This could seriously wreck all your resolutions and wreak havoc on your life. I am not making any promises of low-fat.

I am not going to tell you that you will just have a little bite. This is the kind of breakfast, dessert, or snack (maybe even dinner) that will make you get teary-eyed.
stickybun1

I’m also not going to lie and say my kids eat this every week. This is a new tradition that I will make for my cuties. A very rare and special tradition. Not only for Christmas morning. I will treat them with this ooey gooey yumminess when I feel like spoiling them with a little more sugar. Because this is so ooey and gooey and dreamy, only sometimes!

stickybun3

I’d like to just take a minute to talk a little about a few of my friends.  I won the friendship lottery with our next door neighbors. We met and it was like meeting family I never knew I had. Sometimes we trade a dish of what we made for dinner at the back fence. We often share glorious meals and fun birthdays. We celebrate holidays and anniverseries. We share life’s ups and downs.  When life has us apart due to busy days, we meet for a quick pow-wow with some shots of Ramazzotti and catch up.  The guys like to impress us with  pizza throw downs. Our children are more like siblings than friends.
Here we are with our super cool neighbors. It was my birthday. Hubby surprised me and took me to the Hard Rock Casino in Fort Lauderdale to gamble. I don’t gamble. It was a hoot! There were people glued to the slot machines. Some were in their 80’s. Cigarette in one hand, other hand tightly gripping the slot handle. Praying for a win. As we were walking through the casino gasping for any minute breath of cigarette-free air, Marisa kept looking at me and whispering and with a twinkle in her eye, “I didn’t know you like to gamble?” Apparently, my hubby thought I did?
I don’t have a sister. Marisa is the closest thing to my sister. She’s my little Sicilian sister. When we moved next door and I found out we went to high school together, my jaw dropped! We were in the same class. We’re born a week apart! We didn’t know each other in high school. We’re catching up on lost time. My kids think they have 4 extra grandparents because they think my neighbor’s parents are their “nonni”. How cute is that?
Isn’t she gorgeous! She is my Yoda. I go to her for advise. She is wise and calm. Always with the right answer. That’s her doll of a husband Eric. He’s our Veterinarian. He is also our “general doctor”. Whatever ails us, we call Eric. He sometimes knows more than our GP’s. Winking smile
friends1 001
Then there are my girls in Rimini, Italy. My American friends that moved to Italy and followed their dreams. I almost moved to Rimini one summer too. But then I met my husband. That’s a story for another day Winking smile. They have beautiful little Italian kids and I live vicariously through their posts on Facebook. We see each other almost ever summer. When we met, we were all single and not too serious. We giggle about the old days.
Megan and Julianne are special to me. I can them Megi and Jules. They call me LoLo. They are the kind of friends you can sit doing nothing with and be totally content. We all love to cook and Megan is a pretty rockin’ baker. Julianne makes amazing pasta dishes.
These are just some of my special friends. I do have a few others. I am not sure they want a shout-out on my blog. I’ll check with them first! Not that I checked with these friends.
 A gorgeous sunset in Italy. Me and my scarf. Hubby says I look like a flight attendant when I wear a scarf. Whatevah!

friends2 001

I found this sticky bun recipe and had to try it immediately. I’ve made others that you leave overnight. I tried that with this recipe and it wasn’t the same as baking immediately. *One tray I baked at night and that tray’s buns was very fluffy and wonderful. The 2nd batch that stayed in fridge overnight was also wonderful, but not the same fluff factor.
I hope you try this recipe. Invite an old friend over for a cup of tea or hot coffee. Maybe a cappuccino? Make them for your kiddos. Everyone will be smiling and thank you! You will never eat a store bought sticky bun. No comparison. These buns are even AMAZING without the gooey sugar drizzle.

Gooey Sticky Cinnamon Buns

Dough
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 (1/2 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees)
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 4 1/2-5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Filling
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 3-4 tablespoons cinnamon  (depending on how much cinnamon you like)
  • 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped –optional
  • 1 cup raisins, optional

Glaze

• 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
  • 1 -3 tablespoon milk

Directions

Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to boil. Remove from heat and let stand until cooled to room temperature.  Meanwhile, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water in a large bowl.
Add 1 T of the sugar and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.

Beat in the remaining 2 T sugar, eggs and butter.  Beat in cooled milk.  Gradually add the flour and salt, scraping down side of bowl, until a soft dough forms.

Turn dough onto a floured work surface and knead the remaining flour into the dough, adding more flour if too sticky.  Knead for about 10 minutes until smooth. The dough will be soft.

Grease a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Coat two 9-inch round baking pans with nonstick cooking spray.  Line bottoms with waxed paper; coat paper with spray.

Prepare Filling:
Mix butter, both kinds of sugar and cinnamon together in a medium-size bowl.
Punch down dough.  Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to an 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread the butter-sugar mixture over the dough.
If you are using nuts and raisins in the recipe, sprinkle them on now. I chose to not use nuts and raisins. Starting on one long side roll up jelly roll fashion and pinch seam to close. Cut crosswise into 12 generous 1 1/2 inch pieces.

Arrange 6 pieces, cut-side down, in each prepared pan.

Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm spot until buns double in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.

Or cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the following morning.

Heat oven to 350°F.

Uncover pans and bake buns until they are golden-brown and bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes.

* My 2nd batch I baked at 325 for about 25-30 minutes. The first batch baked really quickly at 350 and I had to keep checking it to make sure it didn’t get too brown.

Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 10 minutes.

Glaze: Mix confectioners’ sugar and 1 tablespoon of the milk, adding more milk as necessary, to make a smooth glaze. Invert buns to a serving platter.

Drizzle glaze on top of buns (about 1/3 cup per pan).  Serve warm! ENJOY! If you have any left, refrigerate them. I doubt you will have any leftovers.;)

source: Family Circle-with tiny adjustment by me.

*a recipe note 12/2011. I mentioned in this post that one time I did refrigerate the dough the night before and bake the next day. I stated that it was not as fluffy as baking the dough the same day. A reader commented recently that it “ruins” the recipe when you refrigerate the dough. I suggest not refrigerating dough to bake next day and making it fresh. I think everyone will thank you.:)

LaPhemmePhoodie January 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I like that you don’t have to let the dough rest overnight. I’ll have to give this recipe a try.

Evan Thomas January 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Yum! Warm and flaky cinnamon buns are definitely the ultimate breakfast. These look delicious! Great presentation with the glaze.

SaraOneTribeGourmet January 7, 2011 at 6:02 pm

aaahhh to be young, single & in Italy!!! lovely pics of you and I love the scarf..you are beauty bella!
Oh and the sticky cinnamon buns are to die for…I suddenly have a craving for them…your posts do that to me! not fair! :)

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels January 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I already know what you look like but I just have to say oh my word are you gorgeous Lora! You husband is so lucky to have you. Not just because of your looks (sexy mamma lol) but you are honestly the kindest, most caring and hilarious person ever.

I can’t see why anyone would do anything to hurt you but if they’re like that, then you don’t need them! You have such wonderful friends in your neighbors. They sound like such a fun and loving couple. I wish I had neighbors like that! haha

Now onto those delicious looking cinnamon buns (lordy this an essay of a comment! lol). They look incredible! Just as sweet as you. I would seriously eat every single one but I won’t. ;)

Nadia January 7, 2011 at 6:15 pm

you’re right, all you need is a handful of good friends. the majority of people come and go.

I need to try out your recipe, it’s amazing. But I’m reluctant to, because I will probably eat the whole batch of cinnamon rolls all by myself! ;)

Lauren January 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Thanks for tweeting me! These buns look awesome – gooey cinnamon rolls are my fave! Happy Friday :)

Pegasuslegend January 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm

My son would love these and you! I will have to make these for him…they looks amazingly delicious…. love the frosting too! Great photo’s did you take lessons on photography? Italy wow I am so jealous! nice sunset!

Cristina January 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Good and true friends are a treasure. It is beyond hurt feelings to feel betrayed by those you felt were your kindred spirit.

These gooey sticky cinnamon buns will surely receive oooo’s and aaaah’s at any table. Those pictures, Lora…are edible themselves. Yum!

A Thought For Food January 7, 2011 at 7:01 pm

It’s the best when you have that connection with your neighbors… doesn’t happen to everyone (definitely not me) but it’s nice when it does.

One bite of these and I might turn into a pile of goo myself. They look scrumptious!

ravienomnoms January 7, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Oh my goodness those sticky buns look heavenly!! The frosting is so appetizing!

Paula - bell'alimento January 7, 2011 at 7:20 pm

This is evil & I must have it soon ; ) & I adore the scarf! Very snappy! xoxo

Roxan January 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm

It’s true, really good friends are so hard to come by. Over the years my circle of friends has gotten smaller and smaller, but i am totally OK with that. I’m so sorry that you were hurt recently by your friends. That’s horrible – you would think that we are old enough not to deceive our friends like that.

And that’s so awesome that you found such a good friend in your neighbor! I don’t know any of mine. I know – i’m such a bad neighbor.

Anyways, these cinnamon buns look amazing. I don’t eat them often, for obvious reasons, but when I do it is such an awesome indulgence.

Hester aka The Chefdoc January 7, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Oh Lora… these sticky buns are absolutely gorgeous, just like you! I totally hear ya about the friendships thing and I can’t wait to build even longer ones than the ones I’ve got now as I get older and settle into a life with family and kids because… it sounds AWESOME! I’m still in the college grind and can’t WAIT to be finished in a few years when I’ll get my M.S. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I’ll have to make it on a lazy Sunday morning for breakfast :-)

Amy Bakes Everything January 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Gorgeous! I have a cinnamon roll problem and have been researching a solution: the insides run out into the bottom of the pan. It’s completely heartbreaking! It doesn’t look like yours did that, I’ll bookmark this for next time, thanks for sharing!

How To Be Perfect January 7, 2011 at 8:13 pm

These look heavenly!

BakingWithoutaBox January 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I saw the hot buns Tweet and came right on over. Truly hot, sticky decadent buns. But how lucky are you to have actually found couple friends! We’ve tried. Miserable failures each time. So glad you found your “lil sis,” separated at birth, but not by too far. Gorgeous cinammon rolls.

Cucina di Barbara January 7, 2011 at 8:50 pm

This is a real treat!
Lovely pictures and lovely women!

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow January 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Oh my! I want 1 or 7 right now. I may have to change my weekend plans to accommodate these. lol

briarrose January 7, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Yum! This would definitely put a hurt on my healthy eating program….but it would be worth it. ;) I love cinnamon buns so much.

Tiffany January 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm

These buns make me want to jump through my computer screen! And I love that you feel such gratitude for the special people in your life. It makes living so much more fun!

Pauline January 7, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Hi and Happy New Year – Have just had a great Christmas in Florida and guess what? one of the first things I bought were Cinnamon Buns – we can’t get them here in the SW of England – I used to get them at an Italian bakers in Holborn in London!! but you have read my mind I wanted to make them back at home and these look great.

Dionne Baldwin January 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Your buns look absoultely heavenly. The last time I saw a flight attendant the men and women were wearing ties. YOu look very “sheek” as they say in France…I think they still say that. Pardon my spelling.

Amy January 7, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Your sticky buns look amazing and full of cinnamony goodness! I wish I had one for a snack right now :)!

Jennifer January 8, 2011 at 12:48 am

What you said about friends is true. The good ones are hard to find, and sometimes once you’ve found them, they’re just as hard to keep, but through all the ups and downs keeping the good ones is always well worth the work.

And I bet these awesome-looking cinnamon buns will win you tons of new friends. And maybe even help you keep a few. Thanks for sharing another spectacular recipe.

Sandra January 8, 2011 at 2:31 am

Ooey, gooey and waiting for me to have one (or two) with tea. I have to save this one!

sara @ CaffeIna January 8, 2011 at 3:37 am

I’m so glad I do not have new year’s resolutions hehe. My hubby has been asking me for cinnamon buns forever and i kept postponing with the excuse that “we already eat too much anyway during the holidays” not the holidays are over and I have found the perfect recipe so I guess I have no more excuses :) Brava Lora!

Chow and Chatter January 8, 2011 at 3:55 am

lovely cinnamon buns sorry about your friends happens to us all the good ones stick around hugs

Koci January 8, 2011 at 5:10 am

Looks like you’ve got some truly wonderful friends! I love that you and your neighbors hang out so much! Those cinnamon buns look very, very yummy, by the way. :D

Sandra January 8, 2011 at 5:10 am

Yummyy! Oh I could eat at least few pieces:))))

Kim - Liv Life January 8, 2011 at 6:01 am

Beautiful buns!! They look so light. Liv says yours are bigger than the ones I make and she wants these!! Love ‘em!

Ilke January 8, 2011 at 1:28 pm

They look great – both the buns and your friends!
Whoever ends up getting out of your life might be a good thing. In this short life, we do not need unnecessary dramas and negative energy..

Angie's Recipes January 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm

olala…these buns look heavenly!

Jamie January 8, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I too have girlfriends who are more like sisters and I find that I am so lucky to have found them. Sadly we don’t live near each other so only have internet and a twice-a-year weekend! Feel yourself lucky!

I love cinnamon buns and should make them much more often! Yours are beautiful!

Dinners and Dreams January 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm

The sticky buns as well as the persimmon bread below both look to die for. Have a great weekend!

Nisrine

Lindsay January 8, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Wow, these look absolutely amazing!!!

Evan @swEEts January 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Aren’t good friendships wonderful? I feel so blessed to have such good friends, especially having moved around a lot of my life. Now that I’m having to plan my wedding it makes those friendships so much more important to me. These sticky buns sound fantastic.. one of our best friends is living with us right now and cinnamon rolls are her fave.. i’m going to make these for her :)

Lizzy January 8, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Oh, gosh, my family would be thrilled with a pan of these! My waistline is still suffering from my orange rolls, so I’ll put this recipe on the back burner for now…just briefly, though.

Always love reading your thoughts…I have many dear friends, and happy to have a whole flock of new blogger friends. I’m sorry to hear you had “friends” who hurt you…

PS…I think you look chic in your scarf!

Katie@Cozydelicious January 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Oh man, these look amazing! I’m going to have to invite a few girlfriends over tomorrow morning and bake these. I can almost smell them now!

Carolyn January 8, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Gooey, sticky and fantastic! And I love when you share your stories with us, I love hearing about your friends and trips and such.

Eileen January 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Lora, I love your story. You are so right about friends. It’s odd how close you can be to someone and then lose contact with them for one reason or another – things change in one or both of your lives and time slips away. I have to say those cinnamon buns look incredible. I’d love one with a cup of coffee right this minute! Have a great week!

Magic of Spice January 9, 2011 at 8:30 pm

What a lovely post Lora, sorry about the friends that have hurt you recently…but you are right as long as you have those special few then you are blessed. And these sticky buns are just gorgeous, I say dinner would be a great time for them :)

Liren January 10, 2011 at 7:07 am

Oh my godness, Lora, I made cinnamon buns last week but they did not look quite as gorgeous as these! And you are right – true friends are such a blessing – we must be thankful for them each and every single day!

The Mistress of Spices January 10, 2011 at 8:44 am

I love your writing! Sorry to hear about the friends that disappointed you, but it sounds like you have some pretty special people in your life! And how lucky for you that you have such nice neighbors…in Paris, hardly anyone knows or speaks to their neighbors :-) I’m going to save this recipe, as my husband loooooves cinnamon buns – it’s one of his favorite things about the U.S. :-)

Stephanie January 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I think I need to make this. Right now.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE January 10, 2011 at 5:08 pm

What a beautifully written post! Friendships are very important–when you’ve got a good one, you have to protect it!

I love these sticky buns and will be SURE to try them at the end of my cleanse…with a friend! ;)

Maria January 12, 2011 at 12:16 am

Friendships are definitely complicated! And it is amazing how things do change throughout different phases of our lives … but it is the true friends that will always stick by your side.

These buns are just the thing to soothe any friendship woes though … they look amazing! Sinfully good to be exact. I just happened on your site when searching for a cinnamon bun recipe on Foodbuzz. And I am really glad I did because it looks like I will be making these tomorrow. It’s going to be a “snow day” and I think the kids deserve a sweet treat for breakfast. I shouldn’t really have any myself, but I don’t think I will be so strong to withstand them!

The Mom Chef January 12, 2011 at 12:43 am

Oh Lora, these sticky buns are wonderful. They definitely go on the “to be made someday” list. Wow.

I have had many friends come and go over the years, but I’m blessed to still be good friends with my best bud from 5th grade as well as to be married to my best friend. Thanks for your words.

The Hedonistic Kitchen January 12, 2011 at 2:46 am

Aside from the fact that these sticky buns are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, I love the personal touch you bring to your blog. I myself, just bought a home last year as a single woman and hit the lotto in neighbors. Good for you girl!!!

Sue January 12, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Kudos to you for featuring the good friends! Life can be painful sometimes, but these cinnamon rolls can help make things all better, reserved for your special friends! I’m sure YOU are a special friend to many:)

Danielle January 13, 2011 at 2:39 am

Wow, I really want to make these right.now. They look SO good! Definitely saving these for later!!

cooketteonline.blogspot.com January 17, 2011 at 5:34 pm

These look so good! I can’t wait to try them this weekend!

Jeff Patterson January 23, 2011 at 3:27 am

Mmmmm. ;)

Anonymous December 24, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Do not refrigerate it ruins them!!!

Katie @ ohshineon January 8, 2012 at 12:56 am

These look amazing, delicious, sweet, and calorie-laden… just like a cinnamon bun should be! Thanks for sharing!