Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Hard Sauce

by cakeduchess on January 18, 2011 · 53 comments

ginger7
There is nothing like coming home from a hard day of school to a slice of Gingerbread Cake. Even better is a slice of Gingerbread Cake with a dollop of Lemon Hard Sauce. Winking smileAnd maybe a hot cup of tea.

When I was little,  my mom used to make the best Gingerbread Cake.  It was a permanent baking fixture in her kitchen during the whole month of December. It was simple and satisfying. While my mom was busy mixing the ingredients, I would be sneaking under the Christmas tree shaking my presents to figure out what I got.
christmaslora 001

My brother would be peeling the tape a little off of his and then he would stealthily try to re-tape it. We were stinkers. (Sorry mom!) Mmmm. And then that smell would waft throughout the house. The rich smell of ginger mixed with cinnamon and other spices. I didn’t know the other spices names yet. I was too little.
ginger9

When we were in New York last week, our friend Nicole made the most amazing Gingerbread Cake. I swear I will get my hands on the recipe and try her recipe. It was dark. Almost black. It was gooey and amazingly moist. She served us the cake after dinner with vanilla ice-cream. Another wonderful way to eat Gingerbread Cake.  Or you may like simple…like a simple dusting of confectioner’s sugar. ginger4
I love to make my kids quick and tasty snacks to have after school. For the cooler days, a lovely slice of Gingerbread Cake and a hot cup of tea is just the perfect treat for my little munchkins. They also get apple slices and tangerines. We big people like our Gingerbread Cake with that healthy spoonful of Lemon Hard Sauce I was telling you about. Lemon Hard Sauce I think can cure just about any thing. It’s tangy and sweet and goes so well with the flavors in the Gingerbread Cake.

ginger8

1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 cup unsulfured molasses
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 large eggs, room temperature,lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-by-9-inch cake pan; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine boiling water and baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour, ground spices, salt, and baking powder; set aside.

In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter until light. Beat in brown sugar until fluffy. Next, beat in molasses and grated ginger, baking-soda mixture, and flour mixture. Finally, beat in eggs.

Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, (approximately 30 to 35 minutes). Let cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Serve with the Lemon Hard Sauce or a nice dusting of confectioners’ sugar.

slightly adapted recipe Martha Stewart

Lemon Hard Sauce

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp lemon zest
1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/12/ cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract.
In a medium sized bowl, on medium-high speed beat the softened butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice until just creamy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla into the bowl in small doses and beat until it is nice and fluffy.

Shulie January 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm

As if you read my mind. Just visited your blog yesterday to look if you posted a new recipe… and here you did just that, all for me?! :) Looks like a cake that will go great with my tea!! Shulie

wenderly January 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm

My mouth is watering…seriously, yum.

Chef Dennis January 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm

wow….the lemon hard sauce on that flavorful gingerbead cake is almost too much to handl….almost…..I would love to have been there while it was baking…oh how I must have smelled incredible!!
Dennis

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow January 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Yum gingerbread! And the sauce looks divine!

bakinginlisbon January 18, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Love it, the lemon hard sauce is a must!

BakingWithoutaBox January 18, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I can’t decide which is more wonderfully tempting – the simple sugar dusting or the lemon hard sauce. Think I’ll have to try both ;)What a lovely cake recipe. I’ll be saving this one.

Jill Colonna January 18, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I just love gooey gingerbread – never had it with a lemon sauce before. And Lemon Hard Sauce? Looks scrumptious!

happywhennothungry January 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Wow this cake looks so yummy! I love the gingerbread and lemon combo too. That sounds so scrumptious!

Corrine January 18, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Mmmm that looks yummy!

The Gonzo Mama January 18, 2011 at 5:58 pm

It’s the perfect time of year for gingerbread! I can’t wait to veganize this recipe and try it!

Kate @ Diethood.com January 18, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Oh, yum, that’s delicious! I think I would probably lick the lemon sauce off of every piece before eating the entire cake!

Marzia January 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm

i love this gingerbread cake!! kisses from tuscany :)

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels January 18, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Mmmm gingerbread cake, you just know I LOVE your cake! ;) What a great idea to make lemon hard sauce to put on top. I have to try out the hard sauce, it sounds incredible. Can I live by you please and eat everything you make? I think I’d be in heaven.

Angie's Recipes January 18, 2011 at 6:31 pm

The cake looks awesome! Love the sauce too.

Tiffany January 18, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I’ve never heard of hard sauce before! The lemon-gingerbread combo sounds fantastic!

Christina January 18, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Gingerbread with lemon? Who would have thought it! Sounds yummy!

Steph January 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I love gingrebread cake! I didn’t get around to making it this holiday season, but seeing this is making me think it’s not too late :)

Evan Thomas January 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I’m drooling. That lemon sauce would be good for just about anything.

Jennifer January 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I love gingerbread. Never tried with lemon, though. Your sauce looks devine. Sounds like it might be time to add a little lemon to my gingerbread.

Claire Gallam January 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm

This looks INCREDIBLY decadent. Like, I just gained weight reading it. But I don’t mind b/c it looks fabulous :) Another great cake!

Christine Wu January 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Lemon hard sauce? At first I thought it’s called hard sauce because you put hard liquor in it.. hehe. Silly me! Never tried gingerbread cake before but yours sounds so good!

Evan @swEEts January 18, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I love gingerbread! And I would love to come home after a long day at work to a slice of this for sure! I’ve never heard of lemon hard sauce and I actually would never think to mix lemon and gingerbread, but if you say its delicious then it has to be!

Lizzy January 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm

What a moist, gorgeous slice of cake. I love those same kitchen aromas…something about cinnamon and ginger that I can’t resist. And since this recipe comes from your sweet mom, I love it even more :)

Maria January 18, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I would love a piece, please!!!

Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams January 19, 2011 at 12:28 am

I love gingerbread flavor. This is perfect especially with the lemon sauce.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 19, 2011 at 2:46 am

Hard sauce… oh how I love thee. GREAT recipe. This sounds absolutely amazing. The flavours pair so nicely! And you’re right. There IS nothing better than coming home to cake.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 19, 2011 at 2:52 am

Oh my goodness, I totally forgot to make gingerbread for the holidays! Okay, I need to remedy that right away.

SaraOneTribeGourmet January 19, 2011 at 3:17 am

oh yum! I would love a piece of this gingerbread cake with warm cup of tea please! :) Lovely memories! Thanks for sharing!

Kimberly(Unrivaledkitch) January 19, 2011 at 3:30 am

ginger anything is s favorite of mine. this looks fantastic. I’ll have to bake this the next time i get around to baking

thanks for the inspiration
beautiful job

Kimberly

Sandra January 19, 2011 at 4:33 am

Stunning photos, and looks so tempting and tasty as always! I love the addition of the photo when you were a kid! So cute!!!

Monet January 19, 2011 at 5:09 am

You are too cute! I loved seeing that Christmas picture…such sweet smiles…such precious little face. I cherish recipes that have memories attached to them, and I know that your own children are going to have such fond memories when they grow up. Thank you for sharing this, Lora. I hope you are having a wonderful night.

Amy Bakes Everything January 19, 2011 at 11:30 am

Love the cake with hard sauce! I think hard sauce is completely underrated and should be eaten on everything.

Stephanie January 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Mmm, looks yum! I bet your house smelled amazing while it baked.

Jamie January 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Oh you were too cute and you haven’t changes a speck! I love soft, gooey gingerbread cake and lemon is the perfect accompaniment!

Carol Egbert January 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Gingerbread and Lemon Hard Sauce are perfect especially when the is a foot of new snow outside the kitchen. Great recipe, Thanks!

Pauline January 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I am spying on good gingerbread recipes – not very subtly as I appear to have a left some sticky finger prints everywhere – have saved this one. Cheers Pauline

Susan January 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Gingerbread brings back such memories for me! It was a favorite inexpensive and easy dessert that my Mom made for us when all the kids were still at home! Warm gingerbread with whipped cream! Your lemon sauce sounds spectacular, though! ginger and lemon complement each other beautifully!

claire January 19, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Wow this cake looks so amazing! I love the gingerbread and lemon combo too-reminds me of xmas! That sounds so amazing and the perfect treat!

C&G January 19, 2011 at 6:39 pm

It sounds amazing and it looks delicious!

C&G January 19, 2011 at 6:39 pm

It sounds amazing and it looks delicious!

C&G January 19, 2011 at 6:39 pm

It sounds amazing and it looks delicious!

C&G January 19, 2011 at 6:39 pm

It sounds amazing and it looks delicious!

Koci January 19, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I am seriously about to start drooling! Your descriptions of the gingerbread cake and hard sauce make it sound truly heavenly. Usually I just top my gingerbread treats with maple syrup, but I think I’ve got to give hard sauce a try!

Bridgett January 20, 2011 at 12:08 am

The lemon hard sauce sounds divine up against the flavors of the gingerbread. I love this recipe!

Magic of Spice January 20, 2011 at 12:42 am

I just love the idea of gingerbread and lemon flavors…looks so good :)

Raina January 20, 2011 at 1:39 am

Sounds wonderful, love the addition of the lemon hard sauce. That must put this right over the top. I love the photo of you and your brother. You look so sweet all dressed up:)

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } January 20, 2011 at 3:00 am

One of my favorite cakes. The lemon sauce sounds divine. What a perfect combination!!!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE January 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Girrrrrl, I LOVE gingerbread cake. With a passion! It brings back such happy memories. THe lemon hard sauce sounds like the perfect topper!

baking.serendipity January 20, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I could use this after a hard day of teaching at school :) It looks like a perfect winter treat!

Sandra January 21, 2011 at 12:06 am

Really good flavor combos.

Grace January 21, 2011 at 12:17 am

Lora I really enjoy when you share stories about your childhood. I’ve never heard of Lemon Hard Sauce. I must try it at some point. My kids would enjoy this cake very much. They both love gingerbread but aren’t crazy about citrus but ice cream sounds perfect. I was the kid that would unwrap and re-wrap. With 8 kids my mother could never remember how she wrapped the gifts – I was a real stinker!

scrambledhenfruit January 21, 2011 at 2:11 am

I heart gingerbread. It was one treat that my mom made quite often, and not just at Christmas. :) I can smell it now- thanks for the memories! Your gingerbread looks yummy!

A little bit of everything January 21, 2011 at 3:13 am

gingerbread cake brings back so many memories. my grandma made the best one in whole world, at least for us, the kids :)
yours looks so good. I’ve tried simple, just dusted with powdered sugar so next time I have to make that lemon hard sauce, sounds tempting.
thanks for sharing Lola, hope you’re having a wonderful week