Chocolate Nutella Peanut Butter Fudge

by cakeduchess on December 29, 2010 · 38 comments

New  Year’s resolutions tend to fill me with unwanted and unnecessary angst. I used to make a list at the end of every December. They were lists full of hope and promises to do better. My lists included some of the usual suspects:

1. Exercise more.
2. Use less foul language.
3. Eat less sweets.
4. Exercise more.
5. Be more patient.
So let’s talk about number 3, for example. Maybe your list includes, “Eat less sweets.” IF it does, you should quickly MAKE THIS FUDGE!! You wouldn’t want to miss it since you are going to be much better than I am with this resolution thing.
I saw this fudge before Christmas time on my friend Dara’s site from the Cookin Canuck. If you haven’t checked out her site before, you should. It’s filled with many yummy recipes. I couldn’t wait to give this recipe a try. I happened to have a gigantic jar of Nutella and some sweetened condensed milk in my cupboards. The stars were aligned yesterday. I also decided  to finish my creamy Peter Pan Peanut Butter and add that to the mix. I am so glad I am sometimes spontaneous with my baking.
*My daughter took this photo above. She was my photo assistant todaySmile.
This fudge IS AMAZING. Easy and just too good to resist. I now know what I will make as gifts next year to give away: Nutella Peanut Butter Fudge! I added some fleur de sel to some of the fudge. My kids aren’t into the whole salty chocolate thing. Yet.
As you are thoughtfully composing your resolutions, nibble on this tasty fudge. I swear it will help you organize your thoughts better. Then you can pat yourself on the back with your fudgy fingers and smile!!
Go for a quick workout at the gym before you make this. Or walk your dogs. Very briskly. For an hour. Because you will eat the whole pan. I’m just warning you.

Chocolate Nutella Peanut Butter Fudge

Butter, for greasing pan
1 (14 oz. ) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz. high-quality bittersweet (60% cacao) chocolate chips
1 cup Nutella, room temperature
3 tablespoons peanut butter (*only adaption I made)
3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Sea salt, approximately 1/2 tsp

Grease the bottom and sides of an 8- by 8-inch baking pan with butter. Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overlap on the sides.
In a medium glass or stainless steel bowl, stir together sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, bittersweet chocolate chips, Nutella, peanut butter, and butter.
Form a double-boiler by setting the bowl on a medium pot of gently simmering water. The water level should be low enough that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir until the chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan, spread the top smooth with a spatula, and sprinkle with sea salt.
Refrigerate until the fudge is firm, at least 2 hours.
Run a knife under hot water, dry it off, and run it around the edges of the pan to loosen the fudge. Using the overhanging parchment paper, lift the fudge out. Peel off the parchment paper. Cut the fudge into 3/4-inch squares. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or wrapped well in plastic wrap and foil.
Makes approximately 50 3/4-inch squares.

by Cookin Canuck, adapted by Giada de Laurentiis

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels December 29, 2010 at 3:42 am

I want to eat the whole pan of fudge but can’t! Mmmm you are so tempting me here. I want Nutella and Peanut Butter really bad. Not to mention, your fudge is soooo good looking and I want it now! :)
I love that your daughter helped with the photo, so cute! She did a great job!

Kate @ Diethood.com December 29, 2010 at 4:10 am

Awesome post – I couldn’t agree with you more! I stay away from making resolutions!

Your daughter’s photo is fab! And mama’s fudge is extra fab! Yum!

tastesbetterwithfriends December 29, 2010 at 4:42 am

I’m so glad we’re friends when you post stuff like this, I just wish we were neighbors! Can I borrow your daughter to shoot my food, i’m impressed!

Cookin' Canuck December 29, 2010 at 4:47 am

I am so glad you enjoyed the fudge (after my serious neglect to send some – sigh, holidays got in the way). Great idea to add the peanut butter. I will definitely have to try that.

sara @ CaffeIna December 29, 2010 at 4:56 am

See? that’s why I stopped making new year’s good resolution. I know I’m not going to keep up with them if they entail less nutella. Buon fine anno e buon anno nuovo!

Lo-mo December 29, 2010 at 4:57 am

I love that this makes 50 squares! If you are going to mess up the kitchen, make it worth your while! These look divine!

Ang December 29, 2010 at 5:28 am

I saw the Nutella and it sucked me in. These look so delicious.

Jeannie December 29, 2010 at 5:51 am

That looks like a whole bar of chocolates! Irresistibly good!

Cristina December 29, 2010 at 8:51 am

I like your thinking about hurrying up with decadent deliciousness like this before the clock strikes midnight on New Year’s! I don’t think that would stop me from eating them next year too. :)

Your photography assistant took a fantastic picture!

A very safe and happy New Year’s holiday to you and your loved ones, Lora!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen December 29, 2010 at 9:21 am

Wow, 3 awesome flavors combined into one fudge? I’m totally intrigued. I mean if you’re going to have sweets might as well go all the way :-)

Amy Bakes Everything December 29, 2010 at 11:49 am

Yowza!! Beautiful photos, your fudge is so rich looking…can’t wait to try this one!

Lindsay December 29, 2010 at 1:29 pm

OMG that looks so insanely ridiculous and decadent and creamy and wonderful!

Stephanie December 29, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Oh my gosh, my teeth felt sticky just looking at that! Nutella rocks…I can’t believe I only recently discovered her. She’s everything I never knew I always wanted.

SaraOneTribeGourmet December 29, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Lora, my list also includes eat less sweets..I still have couple of day to splurge before the new years!
Delicious recipe as usual which includes my love nutella!

Happy New Year Bella! I’m so glad I met ya! xoxo

briarrose December 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Oh beloved Nutella….I’m pretty sure I could never be trusted around this fudge. ;) How many miles would I have to put in on the treadmill for a whole pan? Ehehehe.

Camala - CC Recipe December 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I would eat the whole pan for sure but have no dogs to walk:) This fudge sounds awesome!

Evan Thomas December 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm

This has everything that is good and holy in this world. They must be amazing.

Cathleen Hartnett December 29, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I am making this for my New Year’s Eve party! Nutella is like crack for me! I can’t wait to try this!

Chef Dennis December 29, 2010 at 3:10 pm

OH be still my heart!!! your fudge looks so delicious, and what a great flavor combination!!
Now I want fudge….sigh
Dennis

Evan @swEEts December 29, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I made her recipe too! It was delicious- although mine didn’t set nearly as well as yours did and I love the addition of peanut butter!! I’ve tried the “less foul language” a few times but I work everyday with soldiers so its too hard! ha :)

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits December 29, 2010 at 3:54 pm

What a combination, oh my goodness! It sounds amazing! I want to make this immediately however I have a house full of fudge already haha!! But I will definitely find an excuse to make it very soon :)

Wilde in the Kitchen December 29, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Nutella AND peanut butter? Heavenly! For next year just remember to make more fun resolutions! That’s what I did for 2010 and it turned out well, check out my most recent post! :)

Steph December 29, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Holy Mole-y! These looks super yummy! All of my favorite things in one bite :)

BakingWithoutaBox December 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Oh my gosh. I’m drooling. Badly. $#%^ the resolutions. I’d still eat this. I’m no good with your resolution #2 though. Mouth like a sailor. But it’d love that fudge.

Grace December 29, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I have only one question for you “Did you save me a piece”? These have my name written all over them Nutella & Peanut Butter, what a winning combination.

Lawyer Loves Lunch December 29, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Nutella AND peanut butter? My only resolution is to make this fudge as soon as possible. And I’m not even gonna bother making resolutions like exercise more since I know it’s just not happening. Thought it may have to after this fudge :)

Chow and Chatter December 30, 2010 at 4:03 am

wow great fudge and your daughter took a great snap :-)

happy new year

Rebecca

scrambledhenfruit December 30, 2010 at 5:28 am

This looks soooo good-I cleaned out my cupboard today and the Nutella jar is right in front taunting me. :)

lena December 30, 2010 at 1:48 pm

i think this is really irresistible and the way you described it..i just feel like taking a piece of it now.

Laurie Alves December 30, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Lora, What a great recipe thanks for sharing. i have gained 5 lbs just looking at it…Thanks also for sharing the Canuck with us!

Torviewtoronto December 31, 2010 at 12:37 am

delicious combination for the fudge looks wonderful

Amy December 31, 2010 at 3:24 am

This fudge sounds so wonderful! I love nutella, but never thought to include it in fudge! Yum!

The Mom Chef January 1, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Resolutions? We don’t need no stinkin’ resolutions! Especially when you’re showing off this fudge and I’m not seeing the recipe until January 1 (I hate it when I get behind). Yes, I’ll be giving this a try.

Question though….the peanut butter doesn’t cover up the hazelnut flavor in the Nutella? I’d hate to do that. :)

Justin January 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm

drooling over this… i think i’ve got everything in the house to try it out too

Dionne Baldwin January 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm

You can never go wrong with Nutella and peanut butter is a given. Yum-o!

I figure if I eat MORE sweets in December eating less sweets will be easier. I just raised the bar before I lowered it…I just can’t cut it out completely. I’d be setting myself up for failure.

Thank you for sharing this. Now I want this fudge. I better get busy.

froginthecottage January 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm

waow waow waow !!! what a delicious diet killer !!! just perfect criminal !!! yummy

Anonymous December 13, 2011 at 9:04 am

i have a similar recipe i do with a candy thermometer that i modified from the recipe on the back of a marshmallow cream container.. i use unsweatened chocolate instead though and add my own sugar.. i can control how sweet it turns out better.. but this is alot easier and doesnt make as big of a mess :)

Joan Hayes December 3, 2012 at 3:57 am

Didn’t find your spicy Peanut Brittle but I did find this fudge! I love chocolate and peanut butter together so I can’t wait to try this!