French Fridays with Dorie: Roast Chicken for Les Paresseux

by cakeduchess on November 14, 2010 · 29 comments

When I scanned the ingredients for Dorie Greenspan’s roast chicken recipe, I thought it seemed similar to the way I make it. The rosemary, the garlic, the onion. Some white wine.  Roasted potatoes and carrots. I had never made my chicken atop French bread slices. That part was intriguing.

The rest seemed to be missing some flavor. For lack of a better word, lackluster. I cheated a little and did add some of my usual flavors, along with exactly the same ingredients that Dorie lists. My kids know my roast chicken and if it didn’t have the same sauce, I would’ve had to deal with a couple of disappointed customers. I make a little sauce with white wine, ponzu sauce, a dash of soy sauce, a bit of mustard. A pinch of paprika. Lemon and lime juice. And some other ingredients. It is quite tasty.

I tried to keep the temperature at 450 F as Dorie suggests. It was way too high for my little chicken. I had to lower it after about 30 minutes and cook it the rest of the way I normally do. I like my roasted chicken a little bit crispy and juicy on the inside. Lowering the temperature allowed to be perfectly cooked. The chicken was just the way I like it. I like the simplicity of her recipe. But honestly, I like to have a more flavorful chicken.

Keeping in the same vein of les paresseux,  je me sens très paresseux aujourd’hui (today I feel very lazy) and I am not offering part four of my little love story.

We aren’t publishing the recipes from Dorie’s Around My French Table. If you would like the recipe, you will have to buy the book. I think you won’t regret it. :)
Join us here for French Friday’s with Dorie! It is a wonderful group to be a part of. Bon weekend! While you are there, check out the other members delicious posts this week.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels November 14, 2010 at 1:10 am

Mmmmmmm your chicken looks sooo good. I love when the skin gets nice and crispy, it’s my favorite part! I’m having so much fun baking/cooking along with your for French Fridays with Dorie. Thanks for encouraging me to join!

foodwanderings November 14, 2010 at 1:45 am

Hi Lora, I made a vegetarian dinner tonight and when I saw your post I had to turn away, because now I wanted chicken for dinner tonight. Could you save me some? Jealous cause it looks delicious! Mwah, Shulie

Steph November 14, 2010 at 1:55 am

Your chicken looks great! Sorry that you didn’t enjoy the chicken. But not every recipe is always gonna be a winner

Kristen November 14, 2010 at 2:22 am

All of these Roast Chickens floating around the blogs are just beautiful. Most like you, though, say the recipe as is sounds too bland. I can’t wait to see what next Friday brings.

Lizzy November 14, 2010 at 2:42 am

That crispy skin looks so inviting…I think by accidentally leaving the lid on, I got a better infusion of flavors….and a pale bird. I missed out on that gorgeously lacquered skin!

rebecca November 14, 2010 at 2:48 am

The pictures look fantastic!
I haven’t made this one yet, but it sounds like something I’d really like– I like my roast chicken simple. I usually just cover the skin with salt and pepper and maybe herbs de provence, sometimes cayenne, and I roast it in a hot hot oven. But then I get these chickens from a local farm that have such AMAZING flavour that I like them plain :).

claudia lamascolo November 14, 2010 at 11:02 am

Not fair looking at this gorgeous perfectly roasted bird at 6:03am, now I want to devore this for breakfast bravo this is wonderful!

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 14, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Making this one today – encouraged by all the lovely ones I have seen over the past few days!! Bravo!

Jeannie November 14, 2010 at 3:02 pm

That chicken looks really flavourful from here!

Beth November 14, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I love the flavor combinations that you came up with. Boy does that lil chicken look good. Great pictures. Thanks for the post..B

Steph November 14, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Looks great…you “sauce” sounds terrific. I’m making my bird today for company…hope it turns out as well as yours!

Monet November 14, 2010 at 6:21 pm

What I love about roast chicken is that you can use it in so many other recipes throughout the week. It truly is an economical and delicious way to do things! Thank you for sharing. I hope your week is full of hope and joy.

Angie's Recipes November 14, 2010 at 8:42 pm

What a beautifully roasted chicken!

Claudia November 14, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I love Dorie – the book is on my agenda but I really, really want your gravy recipe….oh does that sound heavenly. I think I would just slurp it.

Magic of Spice November 14, 2010 at 11:12 pm

This looks like a perfect roasted chicken…I agree with you that I also tend to lean a bit more to added flavors.
I am sure the original recipe is wonderful as well, but I like what you have done here:)

Alexandria November 14, 2010 at 11:15 pm

This roast chicken looks amazing and so fitting for the season. As usual well done!! :)

A Thought For Food November 14, 2010 at 11:38 pm

That is a huge chicken! Sure it’s not a turkey? :-)

Brenda November 15, 2010 at 1:32 am

Your chicken is gorgeous! I’m with you, I have to have a crispy skin on my roast chicken. Even though you weren’t thrilled with her recipe you seem to have still made a very tasty chicken. :o)

onewetfoot November 15, 2010 at 5:33 am

Your sauce sounds fantastic and your chicken looks great. Sorry it wasn’t as flavourful as you’d like. What did you think of the bread?

My Carolina Kitchen November 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm

We love roast chicken. Sorry to hear the recipe was lackluster.

I’m curious about the bread. How did you like it?
I’ve made the Barefoot Contessa’s roasted chicken with croutons and it was fabulous. The croutons were the best part.
Sam

Kimberly Peterson November 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Such a beautiful Roast Chicken hun!!! Crispy skin is a huge plus, yummmyyyy.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE November 15, 2010 at 2:19 pm

What a lovely bird! I can’t ever follow a recipe straight either! ;)

saffronandhoney November 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Chicken looks great! And thanks for the temp tip-off. Making mine tonight and it’s a smaller bird so will keep that in mind.

-K@saffronandhoney

Karen November 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm

It is a beautiful roast chicken…too bad you felt the flavors were lacking! I’m with you on crispy outside, juicy inside…that’s a perfect chicken.

Jamie November 16, 2010 at 11:45 am

I never roast whole chickens mainly because then I’d have to clean my oven so I may just have to come to your house for a plateful. I love the flavors you have added. Looks perfect and no laziness in sight!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ November 16, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I love ur additions and ur sauce , i think i wud love it as it is ,but i baked this twice and both times added lods of herbs and spices , meaning overload of the ingredients Dorie calls for!
I lovee the crsiped up skin too!

Bren November 16, 2010 at 9:58 pm

it’s always fun playing with chicken, and even if you’re inspired or working off someone else’s recipe, it’s great to be able to add your own twist. it looks lovely! nice t0 *meet* you!

scrambledhenfruit November 18, 2010 at 2:09 am

Your bird is beautiful, and your sauce sounds lovely! I’m sure it added some extra “oomph!”

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen November 22, 2010 at 6:46 am

This looks and sounds delicious! Wants me to dig in right away. Always been intimated by French cooking, but Dorie makes it sounds so easy, no?