Chocolate Espresso Pecan Pie

by cakeduchess on November 24, 2010 · 46 comments

Yesterday I gave you a glimpse of my childhood. If you want to see me when I was little, take a look and you will also get my no-fail pie crust recipe. Today I just made Chocolate Espresso Pecan Pie. I baked mine for tomorrow and I just pulled it out of the oven.

I remember when I got my Fine Cooking September issue in 2007. I was busy with my new baby, and I was hosting everyone at my house. I didn’t have time to make my crust that year. I did use a Pillsbury ready-made crust. The pie was amazing with even the ready-made crust.
This year we are not hosting dinner at our house. I had a 1/2 day to bake all by myself today. And I was busy! I can’t wait to taste this pie again tomorrow. The smell of the chocolate and the pecans is all through my house and it is difficult to resist slicing it now! Patience Lora…patience.
I hope you are having fun with your Thanksgiving preparations. What are you making this year? Or are you lucky and just bringing the wine?Winking smile
I did use my crust recipe that I posted last night. You could use Fine Cooking’s crust if you prefer. I never tried the Fine Cooking crust recipe. It is similar to mine as they used shortening and butter.
Here is how I measure before I trim. I saved the excess from the trim for an area of the crust that looked thin. Leave about a 2 inch border beyond the pie plate.

Here is how I rolled out the dough before putting it into the pie plate. Once you have the pie dough in the plate, don’t mess with it. Just work around the edge to do the crimping.
Here is how I crimped it. I also scored the pie with a fork.
After I toasted the pecans, I added them into the crust. I then added the best looking whole pecans as a border. After that, I poured in the chocolate espresso mixture. It is really nice to see the pecans on the border rise as the mixture is poured in and the chopped pecans stayed pretty much flat on the bottom.
Chocolate Espresso Pecan Pie
adapted from Fine Cooking

For the crust:
6 oz. (1-1/3 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour; more for rolling out the crust
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
2 oz. (4 Tbs.) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 oz. (4 Tbs.) vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (put it in the freezer for 15 minutes before cutting)

For the filling:
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 oz. (4 Tbs.) unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 Tbs. instant espresso powder (or instant coffee) (I used 2 tablespoons of fresh espresso I just made. I let it cool)
2 Tbs. coffee liqueur (Kahlúa or Caffé Lolita) (I didn’t have any coffee liqueur and omitted this part)
2 cups lightly toasted, coarsely chopped pecans
About 1/2 cup perfect pecan halves

Make the filling:

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave or in a small metal bowl set in a skillet of barely simmering water, stirring with a rubber spatula until smooth.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, corn syrup, sugar, and salt. Dissolve the instant espresso in 1 Tbs. hot water and add to the egg mixture, along with the coffee liqueur and the melted chocolate and butter.

Whisk to blend.

Evenly spread the toasted pecan pieces in the pie shell. To form a decorative border, arrange the pecan halves around the perimeter of the pie shell, on top of the pecan pieces, keeping the points of the pecans facing in and the backs just touching the crust. Carefully pour the filling over the pecans until the shell is three-quarters full. Pour the remaining filling into a liquid measuring cup or small pitcher. Transfer the pie to the oven and pour in the remaining filling. (The pecans will rise to the top as the pie bakes.)

Bake the pie until the filling puffs up, just starts to crack, and appears fairly set, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer it to a rack and allow it to cool completely (at least 4 hours) before serving.

Make Ahead Tips
***This pie tastes best if cooled and then refrigerated for several hours or overnight.

Annie November 24, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I’ve been seeing a lot of recipes for chocolate pecan pies lately but this is the first that calls for espresso. I like the idea of the pecan/chocolate/espresso combination!

Cucina di Barbara November 24, 2010 at 9:34 pm

OmG! that’s absolutely divine!
So yummy
Barbaraxx

Foodessa November 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Isn’t it great when the pressure of hosting has been graciously taken away to then leave you to happy baking times in your kitchen ;o)

Pecan pie happens to be one of my top5 dessert favourites…and I rarely ever taste one that tastes better than my Nonna’s. I make mine with a graham crust. Next time I’ll surely want to try spiking it with a little coffee and spirit ;o)

The pie looks stunning…Brava ;)

Flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels November 25, 2010 at 12:21 am

OH my word, chocolate + pecans + espresso = love!! If there’s one pie in the world that I absolutely LOVE, it’s pecan pie. But then you went and added chocolate and espresso?! Now I’m seriously in love with your delicious looking pie. It’s gorgeous and soooo good looking. Do you know how badly I want to eat that pie right now? I wish I lived in Florida! :)

Have a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow Lora! :)

Susan November 25, 2010 at 12:27 am

Beautiful follow-through! This will be a wonderful addition to the dessert table!

sara @ CaffeIna November 25, 2010 at 12:41 am

Forget about pumpkin pies…this one rules! Totally love the addition of espresso of course :) I think pecan pies are among my favs.

Kim - Liv Life November 25, 2010 at 12:45 am

MMm!!! WE love espresso flavored desserts, I’ve copied this one for a later days as my cappuccino fudge cheesecake is half done. I’m enjoying my afternoon of baking as well. Best wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving Day tomorrow!

Jazz Rules November 25, 2010 at 12:53 am

Warm pecan pie with some vanilla ice cream and whip cream is where it is at!

Sandra November 25, 2010 at 1:01 am

Good combination. Have a great holiday!

My Carolina Kitchen November 25, 2010 at 1:08 am

As a southerner, I grew up on my mother’s homemade pecan pie with fresh pecans picked from our own trees. However, it was nothing as spectacular as this. Wow and double wow.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Sam

Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } November 25, 2010 at 1:25 am

Love the addition of the espresso to a traditional pecan pie! Happy Thanksgiving!!

notyet100 November 25, 2010 at 2:10 am

too good

Roxan November 25, 2010 at 2:23 am

This pie looks wonderful! I’ve never had a pecan pie with chocolate and espresso in it but I can totally imagine what it tastes like. Amazing. Your family is lucky tomorrow to be able to get this pie!

Claudia November 25, 2010 at 3:00 am

I had been toying with making a chocolate pecan pie tomorrow (yes, I leave something till the last minute) and now I am glad I procrastiated because the espresso is a wow and loving this.

scrambledhenfruit November 25, 2010 at 3:27 am

All of these flavors together sound so good! I’d love one of these pies for Thanksgiving. :)

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE November 25, 2010 at 3:32 am

That is one gorgeous pie! I’ve not played with with pecan pie variations…this sounds so incredible! Happy Thanksgiving!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti November 25, 2010 at 3:54 am

Oh my goodness this looks so good! I bought a big 5 pound baking chocolate at Jacques Torres and it will be perfect for this pie!

I make the butter/shortening crust just as you do –it’s nice and tender!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Monet November 25, 2010 at 4:08 am

Can I just shout one word? DELICIOUS! This sounds like a decadent, holiday treat…something that would be gone within minutes at my house. I love pecan pie, and I can only imagine it getting better with the addition of chocolate. I hope you have a blessed day with your family and friends tomorrow!

RJ Flamingo November 25, 2010 at 9:58 am

Pecans, chocolate, and coffee. Three of my favorite flavors ever! How could this not be delicious?

Chef Dennis November 25, 2010 at 11:38 am

what great step by step instructions on this glorious pecan pie! Chocolate and espresso seem to take this pie to a whole other level, this is going to be a must bake..its been ages since I made pecan pie!
Happy Thanksgiving
Dennis

Pretend Chef November 25, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Hosted Thanksgiving last year and it was my first time. Stressful! This year we were invited to Mr. Sideline Chef’s supervisor’s house and I was asked to bring a dessert. I am making Maple Pecan Tartlets! They are so delicious and mini! Enjoy yourself and be safe this Thanksgiving!

Jeannie November 25, 2010 at 3:25 pm

This looks amazing, love the beautifully arranged pecans and the chocolate filling sounds good! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family:D

Aggie November 25, 2010 at 4:17 pm

goodness! can I get a baking lesson from you? I’m so baking challenged! but I think I just need to be taught. :)

this is my kind of pie!!!

Kimberly Peterson November 26, 2010 at 12:33 am

Chocolate and coffee and pecan.. omg sounds delicious!!! Great job as always, perhaps you should upgrade your status from Cake Duchess to Cake GoddesS!!!

Quay Po Cooks November 26, 2010 at 7:12 am

I guess adding expresso to the chocolate pecan pie will make my hubby very happy. He loves all three ingredients especially expresso. He always said his heart will stop without it! hehe

Sommer J November 26, 2010 at 10:11 am

YUM! Chocolate and pecans is definitely a winning combo!!!

meltingbutter.com November 26, 2010 at 10:26 am

mmmm delicious, a great post :)

Ilke November 26, 2010 at 1:04 pm

In my book, espresso can do no wrong. I will try this recipe although I have a pie dough phobia. I guess one day I have to get my hands dirty and make one!

Evan @swEEts November 26, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Can you believe we didn’t get pecan pie yesterday?? Looks like that means I’ll have to make my own and now I have a good recipe to go from! We went to my bfs family for Turkey Day and I got to bring a dessert but its a secret that will be shared tomorrow :)

Trish November 26, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Between the pecans, espresso, and coffee liquor, I bet I would LOVE this recipe. Yum! What a simply beautiful pie. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving. Congrats on Top 9!! Well deserved!

Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking November 26, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Pecan pie is my favorite pie! Besides grandmas blueberry pie maybe ;) great post!

baking.serendipity November 26, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I’ve had chocolate pie before and I’ve had pecan pie, but the two combined? With espresso and coffee liquor? I must make this!!

girlichef November 27, 2010 at 12:21 am

Okay. YUM! Pecan pie is my absolute favorite…but this sounds ridiculous. As in AMAZING! I’m saving this and trying it before the holidays are out ;) Thanks!

Spicie Foodie November 27, 2010 at 1:23 am

Your pie looks amazing! I love all of the ingredients you used, it just sounds like a winning pie all the way. My mouth is watering as I type this, yummy!

Chow and Chatter November 27, 2010 at 4:41 am

wow what an amazing pie so impressive and love the addition of the espresso

Cherine November 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

Lovely pie! Looks so good with all that pecans!

Jennifer November 27, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Looks so pretty. And I love pecan pie. Never had a chocolate pecan pie though. This sounds too good to pass up.

Flour Child November 28, 2010 at 6:19 pm

This looks great! I’m about to make it for our post-Thanksgiving turkeytime.
I am a bit nervous, because I’ve never made a pecan pie before.

Magic of Spice November 30, 2010 at 3:05 am

Chocolate,espresso and pecan…Oh my!
Absolutely killer good!

Jamie December 2, 2010 at 11:01 am

You are most definitely the pie Queen and this one, excuse the pun, takes the cake! Oooh who doesn’t love chocolate and espresso? And with the pecans? Well all I can say is I will be waiting for next year’s Thanksgiving invitation…

The Mom Chef December 3, 2010 at 2:02 am

Man I love Fine Cooking. After Gourmet quit being made, it’s the only magazine that kept me reading them at all. Your pie looks fantastic.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. November 15, 2011 at 1:10 am

omg looks and sounds amazing

Feast on the Cheap November 15, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Looks fabulous. A few years ago my mom swapped out the usual pecan pie with a Coconut Pecan Tart (glazed with chocolate) that has become our new family fave. Pecans and Chocolate just go so well together!

Jean @ Lemons and Anchovies November 15, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Now my already large desserts-to-make list for Thanksgiving is longer by one. This looks like a winner to me!

Barbara | Creative Culinary November 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I make this very same pie! Probably not as well as you but I can’t help myself from adding espresso to almost anything with chocolate so when I saw this recipe, I knew it was for me. It looks amazing. I thought I might make Abby’s latest for turkey day but this has me rethinking that plan because now I’m seriously craving this pie!

Diane {Created by Diane} November 17, 2011 at 6:07 am