Caramel Apple Bundt Cake with Nutella Ganache

by cakeduchess on November 10, 2010 · 44 comments

caramelapplecake1
What do you do with six leftover caramel apples from Halloween. You eat two of them. By yourself. Without telling anyone (shhh!). Then you start thinking.

I was thinking about how it had been 45 days since I last baked with Nutella. I told you I had a possible Nutella addiction. Come on now! Don’t judge me. 45 days is a long time.
caramelapplecakewm2
And there they were sitting next to eachother: the caramel apples. The unopened jar of Nutella. Well, they weren’t right next to each other. I took the Nutella out of the cabinet. Placed it next to the caramel apples. I started to bake.

It’s been proven that Nutella has medicinal properties.

It’s been a weekend/week of sort of no sleep. Sick little guy. Me, a little grumpy needing a nap. Him, a little whiny needing lots of hugs. He put out a request for a Nutella cake. I obliged. I was very happy to oblige.

You see, he enabled that little problem that I have.

I opened the Nutella jar and began to smile. I spooned it into the rich batter. It wasn’t enough. I remembered the ganache frosting I made here. It was time to make it again.

The day got brighter. Little guy started to feel better. We snuggled some more on the couch waiting for the cake to be ready.  I was beginning to feel slightly less grumpy.
I told you, Nutella has medicinal properties.

I make apple cakes quite often. Probably once a week.  I have to say that this cake is truly delicious. It’s so good, I made it twice! (two apples per cake…you do the math). The cake is so moist. Halloween candy is even better in a vanilla bundt! The caramel apples combined with the Nutella is bringing me to tears. The ganache is amazing enough to eat right out of the bowl. Make this cake now. (You could substitute the caramel apples with regular apples.)

caramelapplecake3

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, room temperature
2 egg whites, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
2 caramel apples, cored and sliced thin (about 1/4 inch thick)
6-8 tablespoons Nutella
Directions:
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.

Nutella Ganache
1/4 cup heavy cream (I used organic heavy cream)
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
6-10 tablespoons Nutella (check for desired sweetness and consistency)

Bring the heavy cream to a boil in a medium sauce pan on medium-high heat. Make sure to stir occasionally. Remove pan from heat, and stir in the chopped chocolate until it is combined. Fold in the Nutella. Make sure it is the consistency you like and also check for sweetness. Let the ganache cool in a metal bowl with plastic wrap on top of bowl. The wrap will stop the ganache from forming a skin. Stir the ganache occasionally.
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour your bundt pan.( I even sprayed my pan after with Pam baking spray because the first time I made the cake, the caramel stuck in some spots.) In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, combine the egg, egg whites, and vanilla.
Cream the butter and the sugar until nice and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes). Slowly add the egg and egg white mixture. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the batter. Beat until combined. Add 1/2 of the buttermilk and mix until combined. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat until combined. Beat in the rest of the buttermilk until combined. Add the rest of the flour mixture. Beat until combined and stop to spread the side of the bowl to make sure it is mixed nicely. Fold in the cored and sliced caramel apples.
Spoon about 1/2 of the cake mixture into the bundt pan. Spoon the 6-8 tablespoons of the Nutella around that first layer of the cake. Spread it around with the back of your spoon to make sure you have it evenly distributed. Add the rest of the cake batter on top of the Nutella layer. Bake for about 40-50 minutes. Check with a toothpick. When it comes out clean, it is ready.
While the cake is baking, make your ganache. When the cake has fully cooled, spread on the ganache and run! This cake is amazing!!!

A future artist for sure. Daddy did the illustration. Lil’ guy painted it. Then he smudged brown paint all over the bigger dog. Then he cut it out.
painting1
Palm trees on Miami Beach, September 2010.
GEDC3575
Sometimes I overlook the simple beauty of nature.

Angie's Recipes November 10, 2010 at 11:45 am

What a splendid bundt cake! I love love love how the ganacha running all over the cake.

Kimberly Peterson November 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Oh would you look at that GORGEOUS cake!! And the thought of NUTELLA ganache.. I can’t stop drooling. Off to get my Nutella jar for a spoonful to satisfy my cravings, hehe.

Annie November 10, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I too have a Nutella problem. I have made a Nutella butter cream but never a ganache. I am going to need to give this a go!

Evan Thomas November 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Holy yum! I love the idea of using caramel apples. It’s so over the top and perfect.

Evan @swEEts November 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Would it be wrong to leave work right now to go find some caramel apples?

The Mom Chef November 10, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Because of you I bought my first jar of Nutella. I’m not a chocolate fan but I am a hazelnut fan so the two cancel each other out well. I am a HUGE caramel fan.

Because of you I will make and eat this cake, which my hips don’t need. Well, none of my body needs.

Thank you!! :)

briarrose November 10, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Fab use of caramel apples! The Nutella glaze looks just sinfully good.

Pretend Chef November 10, 2010 at 2:00 pm

What!?! Caramel apples in cake? I’m dying… must get my hands on a slice of this cake! I remember being 6 years old and trying Nutella and at the time I hated it with a passion. I have yet to try the stuff again. Don’t see why I wouldn’t love it since it has all the goods I love! Your budding artist made me smile. Makes me look forward to the day my little guy starts making art for his mama!

Tania November 10, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Stunning!

happywhennothungry November 10, 2010 at 3:04 pm

This looks absolutely amazing! Nutella is a hungry girl’s best friend. I’ll definitely have to try this recipe especially the ganache. Thanks for sharing :-)

Elisabeth November 10, 2010 at 3:33 pm

What a gorgeous cake! So moist and what a great idea to add the caramel apples. I love the nutella ganache. This cake could be very dangerous for me!!

Michael Toa November 10, 2010 at 3:44 pm

oh yum. Love Nutella.
My mouth just waters. So glad I’m about to go for my lunch. Have a great day. Michael

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels November 10, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Oh my word, I want to eat that whole cake. Too bad I’m allergic to hazelnuts and can’t eat nutella. Isn’t that just horrible?! I LOVE how you put caramel apples in the cake, now that’s my kind of dessert! :) Your cake looks sooooo delicious, YUM!!!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums November 10, 2010 at 6:26 pm

OMG, that Bundt cake is to die for! I am drooling…. Love Nutella.

Cheers,

Rosa

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines November 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Glad your baby is better! I could lick the screen. I have to go to the store I’m out of Nutella. I don’t know if I could stop myself from eating all of this!
-Gina-

Kristen November 10, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I am in awe of your resourcefulness. That is an amazing cake!!

Torviewtoronto November 10, 2010 at 9:14 pm

delicious yummy cake

Lizzy November 10, 2010 at 9:58 pm

So happy your little guy is feeling better…nothing a little Nutella won’t cure! Your cake looks delicious :)

The Mom Chef November 10, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Just so you know, I bought apples and caramel today. Just for this cake. I blame you.

Sara@OneTribeGourmet November 11, 2010 at 12:48 am

gorgeous gorgeous cake! you had me at nutella!!! how come you are so thin, when you bake such fab goodies?! what’s your secret Missy?!!! :)

sara @ CaffeIna November 11, 2010 at 12:59 am

You know I could possibly just eat the nutella ganache by itself! Every time I buy nutella I have to ask my husband to hide it like my mom used to do when I was a kid. I’m shameless with nutella. I resisted without buying it for a month and now I’m already putting my shoes on to hit the store. If I gain 2 pounds, can I blame you? :)

Confectionary Designs November 11, 2010 at 1:23 am

That just oozes with goodness!

Reeni November 11, 2010 at 2:04 am

What a scrumptious cake! I am convinced too that Nutella has addictive qualities – and can make any day seem brighter. I hope you’re little guy is feeling better! Thanks for your sweet comment – lovin your blog too!

Monet November 11, 2010 at 4:32 am

Oh my, oh my. I was first introduced to Nutella when I nannied for a wonderful European family in Denver. And yes, it is totally addictive! I’ve made many apple budnt cakes, but I’ve never thought to add the caramel and the nutella twist. Brilliant! Thank you for sharing such a scrumptious dessert! I hope tomorrow is full of joy.

Kim Kelly November 11, 2010 at 5:28 am

OK… I’m a bit behind the times, but I just purchased my first jar of Nutella a few weeks ago. WOW! I’m hopelessly addicted! Nutella ganache?? I can’t even imagine!!

Anonymous November 11, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I love that Nutella addition! Yum

My Man's Belly November 11, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Hmmmm….medicinal properties eh? Well then, I must have it in my cupboard. I’m sure the curing properties more than outweigh the calories. ;)

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE November 11, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Holy heaven–that is a genius idea! Nice touch to finish it with nutella!

Carolyn November 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm

What a cake! Look at all that nutella pouring down the sides. yeah, Nutella is heaven, it really is. I am sure it made you and your little man feel tons better!

blackbookkitchendiaries November 11, 2010 at 11:33 pm

i am in love with this post. this cake is amaizing… thank you for sharing.

Anna Johnston November 12, 2010 at 4:06 am

You knew you had me at Nutella didn’t you. Fabulous looking cake too :)

meltingbutter.com November 12, 2010 at 10:06 am

I eat nutella for brekkie every day and could never get sick of it :)

Rachel November 12, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Sometimes chocolate is the best medicine. Don’t fight your addiction, embrace it!
I can’t help but think of the cheesy Nutella commercials whenever I eat it.

Green Girl @ A little bit of everything November 12, 2010 at 9:21 pm

What a great looking cake, love the addition of caramel apples to keep it moist and make it even more mouthwatering, and the Nutella topping, what can I say after you killed me

Magic of Spice November 13, 2010 at 1:35 am

Heavenly cake!!! Wow, would love a slice or two :)
Sorry your little one was not feeling well, but seems as this cake perked him up a bit :)

Marisa November 13, 2010 at 1:40 am

Very delicious and creative. I think I would have just ate those last two caramel apples lol I like how you used them. I love Nutella too, it is totally addicting. It looks amazing dripping off the top of that bundt cake!

baking.serendipity November 13, 2010 at 4:38 am

I love everything about this cake! I have to say, I didn’t think real caramel apples would be in it until I started reading and I am seriously happy about it! You rock on this one for sure :)

Karen November 13, 2010 at 5:44 am

Wow…this cake is trouble. Nutella and caramel apples??? What I really love about this recipe is that the ganache calls for 6-10 tablespoons of Nutella…I’m thinking mine would have 10! Beautiful cake! And congrats on the Top 9.

Jeannie November 13, 2010 at 11:13 am

What a beautiful cake and nutella has got to be everyone’s favourite!

Chef Dennis November 13, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Lora
what a wonderful way to use those lovely caramel apples!! The Nutella glaze added another great element to an already delicious cake! Great job with this creation!
Cheers
Dennis

Fashion Meets Food November 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm

oh my word! Is this heavenly or what?! I definitely think this is going to be a must try in my life.

xo

M @ Betty Crapper November 16, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I’m in love with that Nutella ganache.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ November 16, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Oh i sooo totally love the idea of caramel apples in the cake!!
And nutella , oh la la , u have a yumm factor here thats very high!!
The pics in Miami look soo muc like Goa :-)

Megan November 22, 2010 at 1:53 am