Upside-Down Banana Cake with Dulce de Leche

by cakeduchess on October 5, 2010 · 31 comments

I think I mentioned I live practically in Cuba.

There are some definite pluses to living in South Florida. I’m talking about food things.

• Amazing fruits and vegetables from all the Latino countries that surround this bountiless peninsula.
  • A rockin’ caffe’ con leche on any corner…just like you would find in say, little Havana.
  • Miami.
  • Cool little Argentinine and Cuban bakeries with pastries like: guayabas, guayabas con queso.
  • And the number one reason: DULCE DE LECHE
Dulce de leche is kind of like Nutella. You open the can or jar and grab a spoon and just sit back and enjoy. It is crazy sweet and I have been baking with it recently. If you don’t have dulce de leche in your supermarket, you could use caramel.

Update to post: October 6, 2010 I posted this summer how to make your own yummy caramel with sweetened condensed milk. A couple of my sweet readers mentioned how you can make your own if you can’t find Dulce de Leche. Here is the link to make your own caramel . As a bonus, you can see my pancake recipe. It is really good! I make them every day. Not exaggerating.

This is the brand I used from my supermarket:

Upside-Down Banana Cake with Dulce de Leche

8 tablespoons unsalted butter,room temp
2 -3 ripe bananas peeled and sliced on an angle in thick slices (about 1/2 inch thick)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup milk
6 tablespoons dulce de leche

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Place 4 tablespoons of dulce de leche in an 8 inch square cake pan. Heat in oven until it softens, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven; spread evenly around bottom of pan. Arrange banana slices to cover bottom of pan evenly.

2. In a large bowl, cream 8 tablespoons of butter with sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in three batches., alternating with the milk and starting and ending with the flour. Fold in the remaining 2 tablespoons of dulce de leche in the batter.

4. Spoon batter over pans carefully and spread it with a flat end spatula to even out. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes (my oven was about 40 minutes). Let cool 10 minutes, then invert cake onto your serving dish.

These are some other reasons why I like living here:

beautiful beaches

cool Florida plants on the beach.
gorgeous tropical fish.
and my most favorite reason why (besides the food stuff), walking on beach w/my family:

Torviewtoronto October 5, 2010 at 4:05 pm

love the flavours delicious
lovely pictures
thank you for visiting and commenting
keep in touch
cheers

roxan October 5, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I love dulce de leche! Did you know you can make it by slow cooking a can of condensed milk for 8 hrs? Well… to be honest, it looks more like dulce de leche than it tastes. It was fun trying it out though.

lisa is cooking October 5, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I think I could live on dulce de leche! Your cake looks fantastic.

Rosa's Yummy Yums October 5, 2010 at 5:21 pm

That is a devilish combination”It looks delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

Sara October 5, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Love your baking Lora! so delicious! I wish I lived in Florida so I could join you for a walk on beach!!!

Isabelle October 5, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Sweet! I just happen to have a jar of dulce de leche in the pantry, so it’s obvious that this recipe was meant to come into my life right now. :) Guess I know what I’m making later this week, just as soon as I buy some bananas!

Monet October 5, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Just adorable! I loved seeing pictures of the beach…but what I loved even more was that delicious cake. I’m such a sucker for all banana baked goods, especially those with dulce de leche on top! Perfect recipe, perfect post. Thanks for sharing.

Eva October 5, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Wow, this looks SO good. I am a huge fan of dulce de leche, and the idea of combining it with banana cake sounds completely amazing!! Can’t wait to make this :D

camala October 5, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Oh, Yum…this cake looks so delish! Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Jennifer October 5, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I love dulce de leche and since I can’t eat a pineapple upside down cake (allergic) this seems like the perfect alternative. Great pictures too.

foodies at home October 5, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Love the pictures! Great post!

Too Much To Do So Little Time October 6, 2010 at 5:45 am

This sounds so good! Thanks for the invite on TastyKitchen!

Have you ever made your own dulce de leche? I found a recipe on TastyKitchen some time ago and it sounds really easy and tasty, too. Here’s the link:

Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com

Ana - El dia mas dulce October 6, 2010 at 8:25 am

Esto es unpecado.. Dulce de leche con pastel de plátano….viva el cuerpo 10!!!
Besos

Conor @ Hold the Beef October 6, 2010 at 1:49 pm

We have to make our own dulce de leche here, but it’s totally worth the little fear of the milk can exploding in the saucepan! This dessert looks delicious, and a great use for the sweet goodness :D

Becky at VintageMixer October 6, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Sounds amazing! My mother in law cooks with dulce de leche a lot being from South America and I can’t get enough of it!

Butter October 6, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Sinful – I want some with my coffee right now!
- Butter

MeetaK October 6, 2010 at 3:51 pm

oh decadent and so good! bananas and DDL are like THE pair made in heaven. This looks awesome!

Evan B October 6, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Your pictures make me rethink where I’m living.. if I posted pictures of where I live there would be a lot of plains and cows.. not as exciting as the beach!

My boyfriend is going to love this recipe!

Too Much To Do So Little Time October 6, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Wow, your mom’s comment is making me wish I had an oven that worked… I can’t wait to make this!

Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com

domenica October 7, 2010 at 1:32 am

Lora, bananas & dulce de leche are a match made in heaven. This may have to take the place of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving this year. Thanks for posting this great recipe (and beautiful pix!)

Simran October 7, 2010 at 5:27 am

I am so making this. Just printed recipe. Wow! I want some right now with a cup of tea

Jeannie October 7, 2010 at 5:56 am

I can imagine how that cake tastes like, all goey, sweet caramel running down the chin as you take a bite and chew on the soft texture of the cake! yums!

Cherine October 7, 2010 at 6:59 am

A mouthwatering combo!! This cake is irresistible!!

Jamie October 7, 2010 at 9:08 am

Wow! I’ve rarely seen a banana dessert that was so tempting or mouthwatering. I can just imagine the fabulous flavors together. And your pics now have me dreaming of Florida beaches…

Ingrid October 7, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Looks like banana heaven on a plate! :)
~ingrid

Renne October 7, 2010 at 4:28 pm

could you add some mashed bananas to the cake mixture?

Cake Duchess October 7, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Hi Renne,
Yes, go ahead and add a mashed banana. I wanted to do same thing, but ran out of ripe bananas;)
Lora

Shulie October 7, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Hi Lora, I already wowed on twitter but want to add my two cents here too. That caramelization is dead on gorgeous! Every upside down cake you produce I swoon over as it was part of my childhood memories. I am now inspired to make one thanks to you. muah! Shulie

Elisabeth October 7, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Congratulations on the Top 9, for your banana dulce de leche cake, Lora. Well deserved!
It is absolutely beautiful, and no doubt, delicious.

Cake Duchess October 7, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Thank you dear readers for all your kind comments. I really appreciate you looking at my blog and recipes and taking the time to comment. :)

Thank you Shulie. It has been so great getting to know you recently. You are an amazing and talented woman.

Mom, you’re the best! xoxo love you!

Too Much To Do So Little Time October 10, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I was at our new WalMart yesterday and they had the Nestle Dulce de Leche you mentioned in your post. :) Grabbed a can as well as a can of condensed milk to try making my own. ;)

Since the Nestle was only $1.78 and the condensed milk was $2.28 plus the time it will take to make it, I will likely just stick with the pre-made stuff.

Thanks for the ideas.