Fall M & M Blondies

by cakeduchess on October 25, 2010 · 31 comments

Who knew there were M and M’s made in fall colors? Did you? I found these cuties at Target the other day. They were staring at me as I was checking out. They beckoned me to purchase them with their rich fall colors full of empty promises of cooler weather.

I didn’t even have my kids with me.

I know, I am so weak.
I was so excited because I wanted to make Blondies for the kids. I figured, they deserve such a delectable treat after an arduous day at school. Mommy deserves a Blondie too, ya know?
Hubs thought I was crazy. He rolled his eyes and said (in Italian), “How could you bake with this junk?”
I showed him how.
The kids were jumping for joy when we walked in the door from school. They smelled the buttery richness of their special after school treat. And honey, it’s ok.  I saw you when you thought noone was looking. This “junk” tastes kinda good, no?
You could make these with whatever M and M’s you like. I just happened to like these rich fall colored M and M’s.
Fall M and M Blondies

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
about 1 cup fall colored M and M’s (or whatever M and M’s you love!)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt the 1/3 cup of butter. Let it cool slightly. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. I sprayed my parchment paper with Pam baking spray. Make sure there is a 1 inch overhang around the top of the pan on all sides. Whisk together in a medium sized bowl the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside. Add 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar into the slightly cooled butter and mix well. Mix in the lightly beaten egg and vanilla and blend well. Stir in the flour mixture a small portion at a time. Be sure to mix well, but don’t over beat it. Mix in 2/3 cup M and M’s. Spread in your prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining M and M’s on top. Bake for about 25 minutes.

I posted this recipe a few hours ago. The first comments were written before I put this story up. It is 6PM and I just came back onto my blog to share the story of a little angel.

This weekend we received news that my husband’s little cousin passed away in Italy.

This is a little girl that was born around the same time as my little boy. I remember hearing from my mother-in-law that something terrible happened when she was born. She chose to be on this earth despite her beyond difficult arrival. She was born special. Beautiful and special. I was wrapped up in my life with a new baby boy. I had never met this cousin of my husband. Occasionally, I would hear updates about the baby and the tribulations she had to endure.

Two summers ago, I got the opportunity to finally meet this little fighter. They visited my mother-in-law’s house while we were there. I had no idea what to expect. I will tell you that I met two people that are truly amazing. A couple that was given a hardship that most people would not accept willingly, and they embraced it with honor and pride. My husband’s cousin and wife had this aura. An aura full of peace and humility. They were shining with love for this precious little girl Sofia.

Sofia was gorgeous. She had curly brown hair. Big brown eyes and long eyelashes. She was the exact age as my son and nephew. While the boys were running around crazily, she was frozen in her special stroller. Watching what she could with her eyes. She couldn’t move. She couldn’t speak.

I was trying to hold back tears. We all had just eaten lunch. The mother started to sing Sofia an Italian children’s song that Sofia loved. Sofia started to react with excitement. I thought that she didn’t know what was going on with all of us as she was inanimate. Her eyes lit up. She knew her mamma’s sweet voice.  I saw that there was a spunky little spirit in the body she didn’t choose to have. She loved her mother’s song. I had to get up and go into the kitchen. My sister-in-law was in there and she saw my tears. We held hands and quietly cried asking why this happened and how blessed we were with our healthy children. We discussed briefly the unfairness and how we didn’t know if we could handle it as courageously as her cousin and his wife had we been given the same situation.

I wiped my tears and went back into the room. We spent a lovely day together sharing a delicious meal. Our children played at the park and we shared stories about what happened and how their life had been the past two years. It was not easy, but they affronted it with dignity and happiness; for they knew that Sofia was here for a reason.

Sofia passed away last week at just four years old. I wanted to post this for my children to not forget her. I wanted to post this to show my admiration for her parents and their other daughter. For other parents that have children that are born special.

♥The Sweet Life♥ (Alessandra) October 25, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I would love to try this, it looks soo delicious. I never saw M&M’s like that. Amazing!!!

eatgreek.net October 25, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I wish I was a kid again!!! :D

Tania October 25, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Altro che pazza, hai avuto una buona idea!

Annie October 25, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Those looks os yummy! I also had no idea that M & M’s came in Fall colors. I will have to check those out. Thanks for the recipe!

Lisa October 25, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Yum! I love blondies almost as much as brownies – this looks like it would be good with Reese’s Pieces too…

Susi October 25, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I’m so sorry to read of this heartbreaking loss for your family! Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this sad time!

Your blondies look wonderful!

Chef Dennis October 26, 2010 at 12:28 am

thank you for such a wonderful treat, and for sharing such a special story of a special little girl….

Leeann @ Join the Gossip October 26, 2010 at 12:49 am

They sound and look SO good!

P.S. Head over to my blog for a giveaway!

Evan @swEEts October 26, 2010 at 1:42 am

What a heartbreaking story Lora :( I’m so sorry to hear of your family’s loss.

On another note, your blondies look delicious and I didn’t know they made fall m&ms either!?

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels October 26, 2010 at 1:59 am

Oh I just LOVE Blondies and you know I’m a huge fan of throwing candy in desserts! Your blondies look sooooo good, I could easily devour the whole batch. How sweet of you to make them for your kids. :)
Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories of Sofia. I’m so sorry for you loss. She was such an adorable little girl! :)

baking.serendipity October 26, 2010 at 4:01 am

M&M’s always sucker me in with their fun seasonal and holiday colors. I love these! I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of Sofia. She is gorgeous in that picture! What a heartbreaking story.

Indie.Tea October 26, 2010 at 4:32 am

O, that is such a beautiful tribute to a very special little girl. Sad and beautiful. I’m so sorry for your and your family’s loss.

Koci October 26, 2010 at 4:39 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. Sofia sounds like she was a wonderful little girl and a blessing to your whole family. It’s amazing to think of the impact she made on the lives of so many people in such a short time.

I must also say that those blondies look delicious! I’d be very excited to come home to a plate of those! :D

Joe October 26, 2010 at 5:21 am

I am so sorry to hear about Sofia…What a beautiful little girl..

Charlotte October 26, 2010 at 10:01 am

I just discovered your blog and your recipes look so good! I made some blondies this week end but I really like your idea of M&M blondies! thank you for sharing! I would have a special thought for Sofia while making them…

Carole October 26, 2010 at 10:13 am

I’m so sorry for the heartbreaking loss of a little angel. In her silence she showed courage. Bless her heart.

Carolyn October 26, 2010 at 2:01 pm

The blondies look wonderful, I can guarantee you my kids would love them.
I am sorry that the world will suffer the loss of beautiful little Sofia. My thoughts are with her family.

KC October 26, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I’m getting a sugar rush just looking at these! Can’t wait to try the blondies tonight with my sweetie, great site by the way.

Medifast Coupons October 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm

A special girl that must of been needed somewhere else after she had touched all your hearts here.

My Man's Belly October 26, 2010 at 6:34 pm

What a special little girl and wonderful family. How would they taste with the peanut butter m&m’s?

Kristen October 26, 2010 at 9:54 pm

thank you for sharing such a beautiful story, a dear friend of mine had a little girl earlier this year that passed away at 2 months (which is longer than she was expected to live) – enjoy every precious moment

Alexandria October 26, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Lora, I am so sorry for your family’s loss. It is amazing how these amazing children touch our lives in such a deep way. Thank you for sharing such a personal story.

Lizzy October 27, 2010 at 1:00 am

Lora, I’m so glad you shared the story of this wonderful little girl who touched so many during her short life. My condolences to your family.

I think I need to pick up some M&Ms and make these blondies soon!

Monet October 27, 2010 at 4:04 am

This post truly touched me. After all that we’ve been through with baby Ryan…I can feel this family’s pain and joy even more acutely. Thank you for writing such a touching tribute. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Carole October 27, 2010 at 11:10 am

Lora, there are varying shades of pink M&Ms this month, too, for breast cancer awareness. These pink ones are tougher to find than the fall versions.

Before Easter they have pastel M&Ms.

Kristin King October 27, 2010 at 6:05 pm

What a beautiful story about Sofia. I’m so sorry for your loss.

saffronandhoney October 27, 2010 at 10:24 pm

What a beautiful tribute.

& Lovely fall colors in the blondies.

gringarl October 28, 2010 at 3:52 am

what a touching post. Sorry to hear about your loss.:( RIP Sofia

Mindy February 20, 2011 at 12:50 am

What a beautiful story. Sounds like she was able to touch many people in a short time.
Im making these now. I didn’t have a full cup of M&M’s. Im using 1/4c M&M’s mixed with chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
Im your newest follower!

jaborzumato June 18, 2011 at 7:29 pm

What a great idea. These look awesome!
Check out my blog!

Anonymous December 8, 2011 at 7:15 am

I’ve made these about half a dozen times. They are great! and everyone loves them. I love them cause you don’t have to use a mixer, which you need for most cookie recipes. Thank you..

I call them “diabetic coma special”.. But no one complains, they just ask for more